2018 Expedition platinum Max A/C problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping this thread. 2018 Expedition Platinum MAX. Took delivery in March 2018. A/C worked for a full year before fully giving out three days ago. Ford Service (as expected) has no loaner vehicle. I guess my wife and our 4 kids will just rent and pay out of pocket. Day #3 now. They "think" it's the "rear" A/C kit. Needless to say, not only am I getting lukewarm air out of all vents, the fan speed on the front dash vents is very low even at its maximum setting. Either the evaporator coil is frozen over, or there is a refrigerant leak (or possibly a combination of both).

Service Bulletin:

SSM 47299 – 2018 Expedition/Navigator – Lack Of A/C Cooling – No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) – Built On 2-Jan-2018 And Through 6-Feb-2018

Some 2018 Expedition/Navigator vehicles built on 2-Jan-2018 and through 6-Feb-2018 may exhibit a lack of A/C cooling with no associated DTCs. Do not install an A/C machine or A/C pressure gauges for any reason.

These vehicles may contain an R1234YF refrigerant that is contaminated and may damage a standard R1234YF recovery machine if installed.

Do not attempt any repairs associated with A/C recovery on these vehicles.

Engineering is investigating, contact the technical assistance center for any questions and monitor OASIS for updates.

Last edited:

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine was $86K after tax and is hard loaded. 9/2018 build date.

I've noticed my ac get humid every now and then but I think it's just the compressor cycling. Normal? Not really sure. Here were/are my other issues to date. My driver side doors were not aligned (notice this on over 50% of the Expeditions I see on the road around here, possibly a drunk robot at the KY factory). Also, the rear hatch hit the bumper when closing, causing the paint to come off and etching of the metal on the hatch. There are a handful of other issues I'm still dealing with. Rattleing front passenger window glass, no audio from one FES screens in the back, loose oh shit bars, clunky shifting 3-4-3, condensation in rear taillights. I fixed several Sync 3 problems (waze, auto dimming, and crashing) by updating the Sync system to the latest build myself because the dealer couldn't get the most recent build. That's for you Gramps!

QC is shit these days everywhere.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the vehicle back today. $2k+ in repairs, all covered by warranty. They replaced one radiator, refilled the system with R1234yf refrigerant (that along was $700+). Cooling fine for now. Hope it stays that way.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Things can go wrong. As long Ford puts it right without inconveniencing us, I'll forgive them. Now if this pops up again at 75,000 miles and they say out of warranty and make you pay for the repair...different story.

ATXMom2

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition that is at the dealership for AC issues. This is the second time they are trying to figure it out. The AC blows nice and cold some days, other days it takes 10-15 minutes to turn on and sometimes it won’t turn on at all.

Today they finally got it to fail for them and now are saying they have to replace the entire system. I am worried that this new car will never be the same.

hosseface

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Expedition that is at the dealership for AC issues. This is the second time they are trying to figure it out. The AC blows nice and cold some days, other days it takes 10-15 minutes to turn on and sometimes it won’t turn on at all.

Today they finally got it to fail for them and now are saying they have to replace the entire system. I am worried that this new car will never be the same.
Mine was in for major trans problems. Over 3 weeks. I've had zero issues and the original problem is fixed.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel for those of you with "issues." Yesterday it got to 115˚ here in Phoenix and the AC worked great. no problem cooling the Max cabin either.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel for those of you with "issues." Yesterday it got to 115˚ here in Phoenix and the AC worked great. no problem cooling the Max cabin either.
I, too, have been very impressed with the system's ability to cool off the entire cabin of my Max. Rear passengers, even those in the third row, have commented as well.

And I'm in Texas so it's not as though I'm not making the system work for it.

Teasip

Reaction score
I bought a 2018 Ford Expedition in March 2018 brand spanking new off the dealer's lot. Manufacture date on door frame plate is 2/2018. As soon as summer started a couple of months later, I notice the AC just blew hot 120 degree air for a long time, eventually the compressor would seem to come on, and the stream would turn cold, but that was not until I roasted like hell for about 10 minutes. So when I have passengers, I act like there is no problem and then they say "they are hot please turn on the AC". Well the AC has been running at max setting just blowing about 120 degree air for the last 10 minutes or so, so on short trips of 5 miles or so, it's like I never have AC. I suspect this is an electronic problem. So next time I was at a Ford dealer I tried to explain this.

The Ford dealer said they can find no problem. What I think they did was just start the Expedition up and walk away, let it idle while they did something else somewhere else in the shop, so perhaps 30 minutes later (or longer) come back to the idling Expedition, by that time the compressor is on and everything seems fine to them (but not me). The problem still persists.

Just a few days ago, I took an evening drive and the windows started to fog up. What the hey, its summer and not raining, I set to defrost setting and the windows get even worse. This should not happen. It's also a safety issue if you can't see out the front and side windows at night while trying to drive.

Last edited: