2018 Expedition platinum Max A/C problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dgm0rt0n

Reaction score
I ordered my 2018 on Dec 5, 2017. It came in on Feb 15 and that is when I took delivery of it.
On March 12 we turned on the A/C and it just blew warm air. I took it to my dealer that afternoon and it has been there since. They have been unable to determine why it is not working and have gone to Ford
for help. What I have been told is that the A/C installed between early Dec and late Jan (I'm not real sure of the exact timeframe) have problems and the engineers are working to find a fix for the problem.
Needless to say, we are NOT HAPPY! To purchase an $80,000 vehicle, have just 600 miles on it and find out there is apparently an A/C problem that they did not know about (really?) or have a fix for is very hard to understand or accept. This is my first time to put something on the forum, but I think it is something that anyone that has purchased or is considering purchasing would want to know about. I do not have any problem with my dealer... they have been very understanding about my concern. I do have a problem with Ford! I don't want to believe they were aware of this problem, but shipped the vehicles anyway and put
the burden on the dealer to deal with the unhappy customer while the engineers try to find a fix to the problem. Like I just said... I don't want to believe it, but...?

Don

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not sure I believe this. Not what you’re saying op but that Ford doesn’t have a fix. An ac system in a car is made up of a compressor, condenser, drier and evaporator, that’s it. The system overall is a pretty simple/basic system. The compressor being the only part with moving parts. When it blows warm most the time it’s a compressor problem. I find it hard to believe they can’t start replacing parts and fix this.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope this isn’t a wide spread issue.... we’ve used ours and it works as expected.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered my 2018 on Dec 5, 2017. It came in on Feb 15 and that is when I took delivery of it.
On March 12 we turned on the A/C and it just blew warm air. I took it to my dealer that afternoon and it has been there since. They have been unable to determine why it is not working and have gone to Ford
for help. What I have been told is that the A/C installed between early Dec and late Jan (I'm not real sure of the exact timeframe) have problems and the engineers are working to find a fix for the problem.
Needless to say, we are NOT HAPPY! To purchase an $80,000 vehicle, have just 600 miles on it and find out there is apparently an A/C problem that they did not know about (really?) or have a fix for is very hard to understand or accept. This is my first time to put something on the forum, but I think it is something that anyone that has purchased or is considering purchasing would want to know about. I do not have any problem with my dealer... they have been very understanding about my concern. I do have a problem with Ford! I don't want to believe they were aware of this problem, but shipped the vehicles anyway and put
the burden on the dealer to deal with the unhappy customer while the engineers try to find a fix to the problem. Like I just said... I don't want to believe it, but...?

Don
My platinum max (and I believe edizzle’s platinum swb) had a mid-January build date. I have not had any problems with the AC. I know this doesn’t help you, Don, but perhaps it’s a comfort to others to know it might not be a widespread issue.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turning on the AC in the winter and blasting the heat in the summertime is part of the selling dealers PDI process. Even if done inside the shop during winter, any tech can tell shop 73° from R134A 65°. If the truck left the assembly line without A/C, then the selling dealership failed you.

Our salesperson held us held hostage for well over an hour after signing paperwork. He forced us to turn on, turn off, open, close, tilt, connect, disconnect, recline, fold and click every single button, switch, knob and feature of the car. If you all didn't do this, then the selling dealership failed you twice.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if done inside the shop during winter, any tech can tell shop 73° from R134A 65°.
The computer won't command the compressor on if the evaporator is at or near freezing temps, or if the ambient air temperature is below ~45ºF, so they would have HAD to do it inside the shop, someone might have gotten lazy.

Definitely a dealer failure, though.

Fun fact: the auto climate control will toggle A/C for you as the season changes, and make sure it's on when you need it and off when you don't.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to the dealer and check that it has been moved from where it was initially parked. If it has then ask to speak to the tech assigned to it. Ask what has been checked with the results posted here.

drjeff

Reaction score
Ordered mine in December and took delivery in mid February. A/C works well.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My platinum max (and I believe edizzle’s platinum swb) had a mid-January build date. I have not had any problems with the AC. I know this doesn’t help you, Don, but perhaps it’s a comfort to others to know it might not be a widespread issue.
Correct, same time period. A/C works swimmingly.