2018 Expedition Reviews

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm, can't comment on weight but the 5.3 Vortec is a pretty compact engine 28 inches long to the Bell housing, 28 inches high from oil pan to top cover and 24 inches wide. The Ford 5.0 Coyote is 26 long, 27 high and 28 wide.

Dammed if I can find dimensions for the Ecoboost but looking at the packaging it wont be much smaller than that after allowing for turbos and associated piping.

But you are right, packaging is more than just dimensions and the extra work might not justify the price penalty

Don't get me started on payloads versus towing weights, the number of 1/2 tons that can't carry more than 1 passenger when towing at full load continues to amaze me.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow some long replies in here, Ford is building what they have to offer that satisfies cafe and consumer wants. Ford doesn’t sell as many of these trucks anymore, so adding another engine is a large investment in a vehicle with low sales, it makes less sense. Adding the 5.0 may polarize sales but who knows if more units sold.

As far as the 5.4L Triton being noisy towing I couldn’t disagree more. Maybe if your muffler is dragging, mine is very refined yet has a nice V8 sound. The 5.4L 3V Coupled with the 6 speed is a great combination with torque peaking at 3,500 RPM it’s hardly a screamer. My experience with this powertrain is it spends most time in final gears at low rpm towing unless you hit some steep hills. Even then it never struggles, just a downshift.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they are waiting for the new Range Rover which tips the scales at just a little over 10,000 #.

Considering a fully loaded Ford F-450 dually weighs about 8,500 pounds I’m going to say they got that wrong LOL.