2018 Expo VS 2021 Tahoe test drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it’s a v8, what did you expect it to sound like?

I fully expected it to sound like a vehicle with a muffler on it. They specifically tuned the exhaust to bark on it, and its really annoying. Its probably 4 TIMES as loud in the Drivers seat as the Expedition is just driving it around town and squeezing on it. The racket got old quick.... I'm a big power guy and I'll admit the exhaust note itself sounded great, but at 40 yrs old, I don't want to listen to that BS for 100K miles. lol.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered a front sway bar for Expedition. Maybe I can get the bobble-head action settled down!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Itll probably be awhile before one of the gm utes make it here to guam. Ive been wantin to drive one, they been out since late june. Ive seen pov test drives from youtube reviewers, and comparing to pov expy test drives, honestly, it doesnt seem to ride much better if at all. it does seem quieter though. However, like you said, the difference is only on certain surfaces that illicit sharp movements on one side. My old limited without ccd would rock side to side sometimes depending on how i hit certain roads, so i would like to see how chevy does away with that. I also thought the magneride made the old gm utes ride too hard, and wondering if they tuned the harshness out with the irs as well. I feel like thats why they added the air suspension, even though its not available yet in them from my understanding

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m sure it will be fine. For at most 80k miles. That might be enough for some people. Too many gm horror stories in my family that I’ve had to deal with too. I’m sure the new design is better than the old one. It has to be. I did a test drive of a suburban when I was shopping for expys. Have no idea how they dominate the market.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was a tow pack, so it should of had decent gears in it. Not sure, they didn't list the numerical number on the window tag.
The 6.2L was extremely lethargic. It ran good, but around town (under 45), it never could rev to the moon to find its power, so it was laboring at lower rpm and it simply didn't even impress my wife. Her first comment was wow this things noisy but doesn't have as much power as the Expedition.

We test drove the Yukon (6.2), Armada, and Sequoia, then we reached the conclusion: Nothing pulls like an Ecoboost!

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have no idea how they dominate the market.

I’m guessing you were test driving a 2 year old model vs a 5 year old model and most people don’t keep their vehicles much past the initial warranty so service issues aren’t a big deal.

I’d also add that until this current gen the looks of the Navi and expy were just horrible and dated. I know that’s an opinion but I think looks drives a lot of the market.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other notable thing is that the front head room was a couple inches less height than my Expedition. My head was nearly touching the ceiling in Tahoe and I'm only 6' tall. My head has 4 inches clearance in Expedition. I didn't mess with seat height much, so it could just be raised up....

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One other notable thing is that the front head room was a couple inches less height than my Expedition. My head was nearly touching the ceiling in Tahoe and I'm only 6' tall. My head has 4 inches clearance in Expedition. I didn't mess with seat height much, so it could just be raised up....

Both vehicles have 42” first row headroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotthere

Reaction score
We just bought the 19 expy platinum coming from a 04 escalade 5.3L base whichwas only twice in the shop for a failure in 15 years. That was the vacuum operated AC damper that dumped hot air into the cabin on a hot Florida afternoon and it had air ride leveling suspension that the compressor failed. Didn't ride nearly as smooth without it. I bought the expy because a comparable yukon or Tahoe used with low miles was $10,000 more and hard to find.
Definitely loving the early torque curve the turbo gives, you had to kick the GM down hard to get it to pull like the expy but it will pull every bit as hard especially a 6.2L just got to get the revs up then the big dog will bark. I think the looks of the yukon is best of the 3 GMs. Until 4th gen I didn't like the look of expy's I'm hoping the expy gives as good a service as the escalade. Ford is definitely giving more tech for your $. Load up a GM and the $ piles high quickly. Cadillac is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m guessing you were test driving a 2 year old model vs a 5 year old model and most people don’t keep their vehicles much past the initial warranty so service issues aren’t a big deal.

I’d also add that until this current gen the looks of the Navi and expy were just horrible and dated. I know that’s an opinion but I think looks drives a lot of the market.

still doesn’t explain why people bought the milquetoast gm stuff over the 18 up ford. It’s not even a contest once you drive the two. Now it might be with the new gm.