2018 Expo VS 2021 Tahoe test drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have owned 4 expedition
2011 XLT
2013 KING RANCH
2015 LIMITED
2019 XLT MAX Fx4

In 2017 I switched to a Tahoe Premier
The ride was better in the Tahoe than the expedition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, how if you dont mind me asking? And compared to which year of expy?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
still doesn’t explain why people bought the milquetoast gm stuff over the 18 up ford. It’s not even a contest once you drive the two. Now it might be with the new gm.

Ya the pre-21 GM's do nothing for me..... Especially that 1950's style rear axle! lol

jastevenson

Reaction score
Which rear suspension did you drive in the Tahoe. They have 3! Steel springs And regular shocks, steel springs with magnetic shocks, and air suspension.

The higher end ones cost crazy money, so I’d be keen to see a vase springs vs base springs comparison.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which rear suspension did you drive in the Tahoe. They have 3! Steel springs And regular shocks, steel springs with magnetic shocks, and air suspension.

The higher end ones cost crazy money, so I’d be keen to see a vase springs vs base springs comparison.

This was a High Country, so it had Magnaride. Magnetic shocks.
It was a little firmer than my CCD Expedition Max, but the lateral stability was 100X improved. I'm waiting until the air suspension comes out and then I'll grab a XL Denali with it.
I did order an aftermarket front sway bar for my Expedition now, so that MIGHT fix the annoying lateral stability in bumps. If that truly and completely fixes it, my wife would probably buy a Platinum Expedition. The sway bar results will dictate her selection.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
still doesn’t explain why people bought the milquetoast gm stuff over the 18 up ford. It’s not even a contest once you drive the two. Now it might be with the new gm.

Momentum probably. People just rolling their old lease into a new one etc. plus the interior of the ‘15-20 Denali is pretty nice compared to the expy IMO.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have driven several generations of Escalades that our company owns
Recently drove a 2020 model
Typically driven about 60 miles on I-44 in Missouri
They are very anemic, downshift frequently on every hill & are very noisy
Our tuned 2018 Expy with the HD tow would blow their doors off
Have now owned 6 3.5L Ecoboost vehicles
Tuned them all
They are SOOO!!! much better than the 6.2L gm V8's:33:
If GM would put the dual turbo blackwing V8 with the 10spd trans & a 3:73 axle ratio in their Escalades that would be a phenomenal improvement

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have driven several generations of Escalades that our company owns
Recently drove a 2020 model
Typically driven about 60 miles on I-44 in Missouri
They are very anemic, downshift frequently on every hill & are very noisy
Our tuned 2018 Expy with the HD tow would blow their doors off
Have now owned 6 3.5L Ecoboost vehicles
Tuned them all
They are SOOO!!! much better than the 6.2L gm V8's:33:
If GM would put the dual turbo blackwing V8 with the 10spd trans & a 3:73 axle ratio in their Escalades that would be a phenomenal improvement

The 6.2 and eco 3.5 have similar torque and HP and at 50-60MPH (passing speed) the 6.2 pulls ahead.

Pretty sure a tuned 6.2L would destroy a stock expy.

The 3.5 is a nice engine, don’t get me wrong but no matter how much fake engine noise ford pumps into the cabin there’s no beating the sound of the 8’s IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I loved the handling and the air suspension for towing in my '16 Yukon XL. Also really liked the dual row flip-down entertainment screens in the rear, as well as the extra room in the cargo area AND the 33 gallon fuel tank.

My '18 Expy pretty much wins in every other category for me, though, and the new GMs don't have a high enough towing capacity for me to consider them anymore.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Momentum probably. People just rolling their old lease into a new one etc. plus the interior of the ‘15-20 Denali is pretty nice compared to the expy IMO.

Aesthetically and certain function, maybe but for ease of use, comfort and quality, Nope!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701