2019-21 Expedition 2nd Row Floor To Ceiling Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I apologize if this has been posted before, but I can't find it here nor using my Google Fu.

Does anyone know the interior 2nd row floor to ceiling height in the current gen Expedition? If the 2nd row captain or bench is flipped forward, how much vertical room is there (once inside, not counting the door opening) in the space created between the flipped forward 2nd row and 3rd row.

I'm looking hard at buying used or new, but cannot find that specific dimension. I don't think that head room is the right number, as I think that is base of the seat to the ceiling, and can't find floor to base of the seat.

And if you happen to know with or without the Panoramic Vista Roof that would be handy too.

It is either an Expedition or the new Tahoe (which I also cannot find that for), but I prefer Ford since it isn't a brand new model and my past experiences with Chevy reliability.

Thanks

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can go measure. The rear hatch is smaller regarding opening height if that matters?
I have Platinum so sun roof in play regarding head liner height etc.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear hatch floor to hatch plastic trim is 33 inches high. Rear floor at mid floor behind 2nd row bench to head liner is 36. 2nd row down 33 to head liner and 34 to glass roof screen, 36 3/4 to glass roof from folded bench

OP
OP
A

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Calidad,
Thanks so much for measuring & the quick response, much appreciated. I didn't explain this well; I'm looking for the height with the 2nd row chairs tipped and slid forward and not folded flat, which I think is what you measured? Ford states the 2nd row headroom is 40.0" and 3rd row is 37.3", so I am guessing that the true interior height is between (37.3"-40") (headroom) plus the height from the floor to where you sit in the chair.

It would help if I explained my weird use case: I hope to be able to fit a camping/emergency toilet in the space between the 2nd row flipped forward and the 3rd row bench for those emergencies where you just can't get somewhere better. I think there is enough room in all dimensions except vertical, which is what I am trying to figure out. For an adult they would need probably 47-51" from the floor to the ceiling to be able to sit and "do their thing".

I found a pic where I highlighted the space I am hoping can be used, if you imagine both seats tipped and slid forward.

upload_2021-4-17_16-32-24.png

tweakeraz

Reaction score
Calidad,
Thanks so much for measuring & the quick response, much appreciated. I didn't explain this well; I'm looking for the height with the 2nd row chairs tipped and slid forward and not folded flat, which I think is what you measured? Ford states the 2nd row headroom is 40.0" and 3rd row is 37.3", so I am guessing that the true interior height is between (37.3"-40") (headroom) plus the height from the floor to where you sit in the chair.

It would help if I explained my weird use case: I hope to be able to fit a camping/emergency toilet in the space between the 2nd row flipped forward and the 3rd row bench for those emergencies where you just can't get somewhere better. I think there is enough room in all dimensions except vertical, which is what I am trying to figure out. For an adult they would need probably 47-51" from the floor to the ceiling to be able to sit and "do their thing".

I found a pic where I highlighted the space I am hoping can be used, if you imagine both seats tipped and slid forward.

View attachment 41672
Okay, sorry in advance. I have had so many jobs where I drive around all day in both urban and rural settings. So many road trips under my belt as well. There isn't a place around that I couldn't find if I needed that in particular in an emergency. If you can find time to climb in the back, you can find some.place to pull over and get THAT done. 5 gallon bucket, your last 7 eleven plastic bag, and some tp and you are golden. No bucket, no problem. Keep a folding shovel and tp in the car. Dig a hole near a tire, grab the inside of the fender and let er rip. Never do THAT in your car...ever....ever. Practice squatting in the woods over a hole. Teach your family too. Another option that is great and wouldn't limit your vehicle options is the collapsible changing/showering/ bathroom tents that any camping place sells. Cheap, gives privacy, and doesn't restrict your vehicle choice. Best thing is they pack down like a sunshade.

You may have another overlooked reason, but I just can't think of any unless mobility is involved. If so, I truly, sincerely apologize and appreciate the lesson on required differences.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tweakeraz

Reaction score
Okay, sorry in advance. I have had so many jobs where I drive around all day in both urban and rural settings. So many road trips under my belt as well. There isn't a place around that I couldn't find if I needed that in particular in an emergency. If you can find time to climb in the back, you can find some.place to pull over and get THAT done. 5 gallon bucket, your last 7 eleven plastic bag, and some tp and you are golden. No bucket, no problem. Keep a folding shovel and tp in the car. Dig a hole near a tire, grab the inside of the fender and let er rip. Never do THAT in your car...ever....ever. Practice squatting in the woods over a hole. Teach your family too. Another option that is great and wouldn't limit your vehicle options is the collapsible changing/showering/ bathroom tents that any camping place sells. Cheap, gives privacy, and doesn't restrict your vehicle choice. Best thing is they pack down like a sunshade.

You may have another overlooked reason, but I just can't think of any unless mobility is involved. If so, I truly, sincerely apologize and appreciate the lesson on required differences.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Here 16187006446042272377873915494927.jpg 16187007061894520039128420355608.jpg is what I was talking about. I think I paid 40 for it from bass pro shops.

bwhinnen

Reaction score
Calidad,

View attachment 41672

Should I call you ‘Alphabet Head’ or just plain old ‘**** Head’?!? I’ve not heard Ace (Arnold) Rimmer for a while

I have a 2020 Limited with sunroof. It is 44” from floor to headliner and 45” from floor to the cover of the sunroof. I think from memory the non-sunroof model has about an inch difference.

OP
OP
A

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Should I call you ‘Alphabet Head’ or just plain old ‘**** Head’?!? I’ve not heard Ace (Arnold) Rimmer for a while

I have a 2020 Limited with sunroof. It is 44” from floor to headliner and 45” from floor to the cover of the sunroof. I think from memory the non-sunroof model has about an inch difference.

Hey, another fan, awesome! I've been one since the late 80's, and managed to hook my teens as well.
Thanks so much for the reply and info, very much appreciated!

OP
OP
A

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Here View attachment 41673 View attachment 41674 is what I was talking about. I think I paid 40 for it from bass pro shops.

Yes, you make some really good points, and this is more of a "last resort" option. For example, traffic jams where one can't exit the highway and your fellow motorists may not be so understanding. :)
The first choice is to stop somewhere, and the next option is to go outside the vehicle. I just procured this shelter, toilet, backpack kit off Indiegogo and am super happy with it as a backup.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/instaprivy-world-s-most-practical-portable-toilet#/

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Calidad,

View attachment 41672
No I measured from the folded height.
Not the floor.