2019 Expedition XLT - Looking to switch out the stock halogens with either LEDs or HIDs but need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrItchy

Reaction score
I bought this high/low bulb set as an upgrade for my 2016 Expedition XLT. The low beams installed just fine, and showed a definite improvement over the output of the stock bulbs (although I do occasionally get flashed by oncoming drivers). The high beams, however, would not fit without modification. The problem is that the heat sink is too wide, and it hits the side of the light housing when you try to rotate the bulb to lock it into the socket. I broke one of the cooling fins while trying, and decided to grind down the restt of that side of the heat sink rather than attempt to grind out space in the much more expensive light housing. This modification allowed the bulb to fit and rotate into locked position, and hopefully the lifespan won't be too greatly shortened by the reduced cooling area. The lesson I learned: don't buy a LED high beam bulb for this specific application unless the heat sink has a SMALLER diameter than the tabs that fit into the bulb holder. For example, this manufacturer has a right-angle HB3 bulb design that would be a much better fit in this vehicle (assuming the connector faces the right direction when the bulb is locked in place...).

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought this high/low bulb set as an upgrade for my 2016 Expedition XLT. The low beams installed just fine, and showed a definite improvement over the output of the stock bulbs (although I do occasionally get flashed by oncoming drivers). The high beams, however, would not fit without modification. The problem is that the heat sink is too wide, and it hits the side of the light housing when you try to rotate the bulb to lock it into the socket. I broke one of the cooling fins while trying, and decided to grind down the restt of that side of the heat sink rather than attempt to grind out space in the much more expensive light housing. This modification allowed the bulb to fit and rotate into locked position, and hopefully the lifespan won't be too greatly shortened by the reduced cooling area. The lesson I learned: don't buy a LED high beam bulb for this specific application unless the heat sink has a SMALLER diameter than the tabs that fit into the bulb holder. For example, this manufacturer has a right-angle HB3 bulb design that would be a much better fit in this vehicle (assuming the connector faces the right direction when the bulb is locked in place...).
Your 16 has a different headlight housing than the 18+ models. The bulbs he chose will fit 18+ models with no modifications needed to the bulb or housing.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with 55 watt HID's to replace the high and low beams on my 2020 XLT. I'm very pleased with them. I went with HID's instead of LED's because of the parabolic low beam XLT lens. Parabolic lenses work well with spherical bulbs like halogens and HID's. Most LED's don't imitate spherical bulbs well. That's why OEM's don't pair LED's with parabolic lenses. The downside with HID's is that there is a finite warm up period, they aren't "instant on". But, once they're on, they really work well.

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with 55 watt HID's to replace the high and low beams on my 2020 XLT. I'm very pleased with them. I went with HID's instead of LED's because of the parabolic low beam XLT lens. Parabolic lenses work well with spherical bulbs like halogens and HID's. Most LED's don't imitate spherical bulbs well. That's why OEM's don't pair LED's with parabolic lenses. The downside with HID's is that there is a finite warm up period, they aren't "instant on". But, once they're on, they really work well.
Where did you mount the ballasts?

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where did you mount the ballasts?
Sorry for the late return. I've been on vacation. There is an Aluminum Fender bracket on both sides just above and behind the fog lamps. It has a hole in it. I bolted the electronics with a 1/4-20 SS bolt and nyloc nut, and, I used 3M foam two sided tape as well. I was just under the truck changing the oil today and they are all still secure after about 2 years. They are well protected from road splash.