2019 HD Trailer Backup System Failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eyecando

Reaction score
When I received my 2019 Expedition Max Platinum the trailer backup system worked perfectly. Now it constantly fails. The typical message is "Sticker Not Found Shift to Park". This appears after the sticker has been found. The sticker is in good shape and is fully visible from the rear camera. The system will initially work correctly and then it will fail with the Sticker Not Found message. I have verified that all settings for the trailer are entered correctly.

Anyone else have this issue?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I received my 2019 Expedition Max Platinum the trailer backup system worked perfectly. Now it constantly fails. The typical message is "Sticker Not Found Shift to Park". This appears after the sticker has been found. The sticker is in good shape and is fully visible from the rear camera. The system will initially work correctly and then it will fail with the Sticker Not Found message. I have verified that all settings for the trailer are entered correctly.

Anyone else have this issue?
Have you cleaned the backup camera lens, all 3 clear covers near the camera, and the sticker?

I have not had the issue, but I also don’t use the system.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving lessons might be easier! lol

Just kidding, but I refuse to let some BS computer crap do my driving, so if I can't do it, its not happening....... Thats just me tho, so hopefully you get yours figured out.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been backing up trailers for over 40 years. I never tried the trailer assist until the other day, just for laughs, on my little kayak trailer that is really hard to backup. It's pretty amazing and works very well.

I'd say clean the cameras as others have said and if that doesn't work try deleting the set up and do it over again.

OP
OP
E

Eyecando

Reaction score
I cleaned everything once before and that didn't help. I checked again and everything appeared to be clean, but I cleaned them again and will check to see if that helps.

I agree you should not need the backup system, but it really does make it much easier to backup, especially when limited by the small Expedition mirrors. When the system works correctly it really makes it easy to back up long distances.

Brent Wahl

Reaction score
Our 2020 Max Platinum has the same and other issues.

- It will not find the label and gives an error.

- Now after the last attempt to using the pro back up system / label the dash board display when you shut off the car and restart the car returns back to the tow display.

I see the 2021 no longer uses the label and now has a module and cable you plug into the car and place the module on the trailer

Brent Wahl

Reaction score
I called Corp Ford Customer Service and they offered no technical help and were not in the know of the new 2021 cable / module system. They told me to call the Local Ford Dealer Service group

I called the local Ford Dealer and they suggested put the trailer with label on it back on the SUV and make an appointment to have them look at the label install and rear camera calibration.

The local Dealer also did not know why the pro back up label system had been changed to the cable / module.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know what trailer you are using, but I do know that some Airstream owners have had problems with the backup system. Apparently all the shiny aluminum of an Airstream confuses the camera as it tries to locate the sticker.

Brent Wahl

Reaction score
I don't know what trailer you are using, but I do know that some Airstream owners have had problems with the backup system. Apparently all the shiny aluminum of an Airstream confuses the camera as it tries to locate the sticker.

I do have some Al reflection will look at

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01