2019 less than 11000 miles and 3 out of 4 shocks leaking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the stock shocks are not great even before they start leaking. Upgrading to something else will be better no matter what. When one of mine left a puddle on the floor I just went with bilsteins and am very happy with them. When I pulled all 4 I discovered that 3 for sure where leaking and the fourth may have been starting to leak but still looked pretty good.

Anyone who says their shocks or struts were still good after 90k miles is mistaken, they may not have totally failed but I can guarantee they were not as good as new, shocks are a wear item and they break down with time. I have some older shocks on my jeep and while they still perform mostly acceptable they are not performing like they used to and I need to replace them this year but I could keep driving on them for several more years and live with the so so performance.

EXACTLY

Robld2

Reaction score
2018 Limited with 40k miles. Bought the Expedition this summer and shocks were toast. Leaked fluid on garage floor, spongy bouncy ride. Replaced with Bilstein 5100 and they made a huge difference. Blisteins were on back order for 2 months when I ordered them. I would highly recommend the Blisteins.

Reaction score
2018 Limited with 40k miles. Bought the Expedition this summer and shocks were toast. Leaked fluid on garage floor, spongy bouncy ride. Replaced with Bilstein 5100 and they made a huge difference. Blisteins were on back order for 2 months when I ordered them. I would highly recommend the Blisteins.

Hi
Is Bilstein 5100 available for all the wheels (Front and Rear)

donsmrs

Reaction score
Took my 2019 Expy to dealer yesterday as there was fluid leaking on the floor. They diagnosed three out of four shocks leaking and need to be replaced. I know that is not normal, any one else have issues like this??

This is our 3rd Expedition over 20 years owning and never had to replace even one shock. Any ideals...?

I'd call the factory. Used to be in Dearborn, MI. Have had really decent results doing that over the years. (We had Fords since 1983. Dearborn seemed to like that info- just sayin....) Maybe there's a recall on them? Or maybe there should be!

That being said, I am also on our 3rd Expedition in 20 years. We have had to replace shocks/struts one time each, on the first two Expeditions, and I expect when I hit about 90,000 miles on this one, I will have to do it, also. We never had to tow, (had an F150 4WD Lariat for that) but put a lot of hwy miles on the first two. Tires seemed to last longer when shocks/struts get replaced, and at high speeds, the ride is better- or was for us. Shocks and struts my mechanics use, come with lifetime warranties, or have in all our vehicles. Hope this helps!

mtlguido

Reaction score
2019 Expy with 15000 miles. Replaced driver side front shock about 6 months ago due to leaking, now the passenger front shock is leaking. I guess they have a seal problem. Glad I'm still on warranty, but 3 year warranty ends soon.