2019 Model actual MPG way lower than expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 29999

AWD, Max, XLT. 23.4MPG this tank.

I had a 3d Generation, a dog compared to 4th Generation.
Look, I get 25.6mpg on a 6300lb curb weight 2016 el platinum with a 93 performance tune, LIFTED WITH 35s!!! That’s 2mpg more than your stock max Ltd. and Thts with 100 extra rwhp and tq! Say it isn’t so!!!
CB817D82-EA8E-437B-9292-A9F50B1274D3.jpeg

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And my curb weight is several hundred lbs more!!!

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so you drive to the top of a hill, reset the trip odometer, coast downhill for 3.6 miles and take a picture. Cool. In my photo, I filled up, reset everything, got on the freeway and drove 63MPH for 11 miles. Look, I drove my 2008 for 100K miles and averaged 15-16MPG. The 2018 with the 10 speed transmission and Gen 2 EB gets significantly better mileage, is significantly more powerful, my Max is 16 inches longer with lots more cargo space and weighs almost exactly the same as my 2008 standard length model.

Somebody needs to explain to me how aftermarket tuning improves mileage, because that makes no sense. Engines are air pumps, the more power you make, the more fuel you burn. Easy.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so you drive to the top of a hill, reset the trip odometer, coast downhill for 3.6 miles and take a picture. Cool. In my photo, I filled up, reset everything, got on the freeway and drove 63MPH for 11 miles. Look, I drove my 2008 for 100K miles and averaged 15-16MPG. The 2018 with the 10 speed transmission and Gen 2 EB gets significantly better mileage, is significantly more powerful, my Max is 16 inches longer with lots more cargo space and weighs almost exactly the same as my 2008 standard length model.

Somebody needs to explain to me how aftermarket tuning improves mileage, because that makes no sense. Engines are air pumps, the more power you make, the more fuel you burn. Easy.
Bc my tuner is awesome. And I moved up to max 410rwhp and 450rwtq over stock 301rwhp and 309rwtq

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I just reset my mileage gauge and drove 3.6 miles at 70 on interstate between two exits

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

5 star tuned a 2018 expedition and it made 355rwhp and 441rwtq. Base numbers for you 4th gen guys are 300rwhp and 376rwtq. Judging by those numbers they were probably running an 87 perf tune

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.6 miles really isn't far enough to base any conclusions on. Sorry. In my experience, with 100K miles with the 5.4 and 15K miles with the Gen 2 EB, I'm seeing at least 30% better gas mileage. I'm guessing that your Gen 1 EB will deliver very similar mileage. Nobody has explained how tuning improves mileage. That's not how it works. Any time you increase power you're burning more fuel. And since automakers put a priority on achieving the highest mileage possible while not compromising reliability, it makes no sense that they'd leave even 0.1MPG efficiency on the table. I've been following tuners for a long time, any claim that they improve mileage are specious at best. No such thing as a free lunch, and there's a sucker born every minute.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.6 miles really isn't far enough to base any conclusions on. Sorry. In my experience, with 100K miles with the 5.4 and 15K miles with the Gen 2 EB, I'm seeing at least 30% better gas mileage. I'm guessing that your Gen 1 EB will deliver very similar mileage. Nobody has explained how tuning improves mileage. That's not how it works. Any time you increase power you're burning more fuel. And since automakers put a priority on achieving the highest mileage possible while not compromising reliability, it makes no sense that they'd leave even 0.1MPG efficiency on the table. I've been following tuners for a long time, any claim that they improve mileage are specious at best. No such thing as a free lunch, and there's a sucker born every minute.
Don’t know but they have their ducks in a row for sure. I’m happy with my mileage and all that extra power. Still got a few more things I wanna do such as CAC and pipe kit and exhaust and should be good to go

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure the tuners are pushing the limits of the A/F ratios and such to achieve maximum performance and milage whereas the manufacturer looks at prolonged life to save their wallet from warranty claims.....