2019 Model actual MPG way lower than expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suvdude2000

Reaction score
Picked up 19 platinum 4x4 two weeks ago. I'm freaking out. - the computer says I'm averaging 11.7 mpg - this is my wife's car and she does not even know how to put the thing in sports mode or turn off the start / stop feature and she does not speed - pick up kids drop off kids - every time I get in the car the gas is down huge - I traded ina MB GL 550 (twin turbo v8). With 305 22 tires and we were getting about 16-17mpg - if these numbers are real - Fors is going to have problems - class action if they stay around these numbers

I’m thinking of going to a 550 once the new model is out. How did you like it?

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure the tuners are pushing the limits of the A/F ratios and such to achieve maximum performance and milage whereas the manufacturer looks at prolonged life to save their wallet from warranty claims.....

Well, lean burn technologies maximize fuel mileage, best fuel economy happens at about 15.4:1 air/fuel ratio. Maximum power occurs on the rich side of stoichometric (14.7:1), at about 12.6:1 air/fluid ratio. I'd rather not sacrifice reliability in the name of power or fuel economy.

I'm quite happy with the stock tune. I rarely put my foot in it, but it's pretty quick when I do. And I'm more than pleased with the fuel economy.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just picked up 19 Platinum Max 4x4 as a rental flipped over to trip computer and found it's getting according to the computer 19.7 mpg over the last 4K plus miles. That's incredible for this vehicle as a rental. I bet no one is using 93. I'm putting 87 in it and was not instructed to do otherwise.

IMG_3617.JPG

2018 EXPY

Reaction score
Well, i am seeing your threads and being shocked at how low my MPG is!
i have the 2018 XLT 4X4 with the tow package (3.73 ratio i believe). the 1700 miles on that truck averages at around 14.3 MPG city and 17.5 MPG HWY, which is not far from the OP. maybe because it is still relatively new, but the discrepancy in the numbers i can see is huge! most are averaging at 20-22 which is awesome, but some like me can only see the above mentioned numbers.

how did you all broke in your cars? maybe that is why we see all these differences.

Last edited:

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just picked up 19 Platinum Max 4x4 as a rental flipped over to trip computer and found it's getting according to the computer 19.7 mpg over the last 4K plus miles. That's incredible for this vehicle as a rental. I bet no one is using 93. I'm putting 87 in it and was not instructed to do otherwise.

View attachment 30402

This mileage seems about right and is similar to our 2018 with HD tow package while running 93 octane. My lifetime average over 10,000 miles is 19.5 mpg. Just got back from an 800 mile trip on relatively flat interstate and averaged 22 mpg for the trip. Overall, very pleased with the mileage for a vehicle this big.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, i am seeing your threads and being shocked at how low my MPG is!
i have the 2018 XLT 4X4 with the tow package (3.73 ration i believe). the 1700 miles on that truck averages at around 14.3 MPG city and 17.5 MPG HWY, which is not far from the OP.

how did you all broke in your cars? maybe that is why we see all these differences.

Mines was like this until about 4-5k. It was hard to get the epa numbers on mines unless i was goin bout 50ish. Anything over 60, mileage would dip to high teens. But as time went on and summer time came, mileage went way up. Now at 25k, it easily hits 23+

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We did a 1500 mile road trip last week and I got around 21. I have 20k miles. But my lifetime avg is about 16mpg so it’s definitely improved over the life of the vehicle. Running 93.

2018 EXPY

Reaction score
dlcorbett , aggiegrad05

with these comments i can restore some confident in ford then. we had the 2012 triton 5.4L before i got this one and the MPG on that was much better than what i am getting now. hopefully the new EB will get me 22+ on highways in the future as that would be my most time spend with the expy.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
99% is fuel milage is in the drivers right foot.......... Can't always blame the vehicle!

Edwin C Aldredge

Reaction score
It's the stop and go that kills you. Out on the open road you shouldn't have trouble seeing higher numbers if you drive even remotely reasonable