2019 Model actual MPG way lower than expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... it’s not a hybrid guys, and they cover themselves by putting the words “up to” in front of the mileage. Depending on your gears, your lead foot, humidity, temperature, tires, wind resistance, elevation above sea level, etc. too many variables to worry about what mileage your getting compared to everyone else

drjeff

Reaction score
Are you just using the vehicle's info or are you also computing with actual gallons used and miles driven? I'm getting 17 -19 in the city and up to 24+ on the highway with my 2018 with 14K miles.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on my preliminary check, the onboard MPG calculation is optimistic by at least 1 MPG. I need several more tankfuls to verify.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a hilly, speed bump and stop-sign infested, 20-25mph "first mile" neighborhood? Those are brutal on mpg's

My 5.4l will drop into single digits if you reset the counter and then just do 1-2 mile neighborhood shopping errands for a while....

Using a big engine to accelerate a 3-ton unaerodynamic brick from stop sign to stop sign just ain't good for fuel efficiency

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a hilly, speed bump and stop-sign infested, 20-25mph "first mile" neighborhood? Those are brutal on mpg's

My 5.4l will drop into single digits if you reset the counter and then just do 1-2 mile neighborhood shopping errands for a while....

Using a big engine to accelerate a 3-ton unaerodynamic brick from stop sign to stop sign just ain't good for fuel efficiency
^^^this is awesome

Plati

Reaction score
Well, for one thing they use 100% gasoline in the mpg test … no E10. That can make 2%.

Also, they don't use 87 octane … 92 octane I believe.
Ecoboost gets better mpg with higher octane.

And they put it through a specific cycle of driving "types", which you may not replicate.

Oddly enough … they don't measure the gallons used in the test
they collect the exhaust and measure the amount of carbon that comes out
to determine the amount of fuel used. Weird but true.

Another weird fact. Ever been in a borrowed or rented car and not know which side the gas fill is on. Theres an arrow on the fuel gauge that shows you. Checkitout!

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You must be getting into the Turbos or carrying some extra weight. I'm now (non winter) averaging 18mpg by the Ford system in a 17 EL with 3.73 gears with a 6 speed auto. I use 93 octane. The truck is all stock. I do about the same mix of Highway and local driving as you. I mostly use 2wd. I do see a drop off when I do use 4 auto. I used to drive at 80mph on the highway when I lived down south but have dropped back to 72-75 on the highway because the limit is 65mph here. I don't drive it easy but don't accelerate hard at every light either. Also It's me mostly in it and occasionally my 2 greyhounds.

The turbo system is basically adding capacity to the motor. I read somewhere but can't find the link that when you are in full boost you are running the equivalent of a 7.0L motor. It's when you are not into the boost and lower speed we pick up the mpg savings.