2019 Model actual MPG way lower than expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You must be getting into the Turbos or carrying some extra weight. I'm now (non winter) averaging 18mpg by the Ford system in a 17 EL with 3.73 gears with a 6 speed auto. I use 93 octane. The truck is all stock. I do about the same mix of Highway and local driving as you. I mostly use 2wd. I do see a drop off when I do use 4 auto. I used to drive at 80mph on the highway when I lived down south but have dropped back to 72-75 on the highway because the limit is 65mph here. I don't drive it easy but don't accelerate hard at every light either. Also It's me mostly in it and occasionally my 2 greyhounds.

The turbo system is basically adding capacity to the motor. I read somewhere but can't find the link that when you are in full boost you are running the equivalent of a 7.0L motor. It's when you are not into the boost and lower speed we pick up the mpg savings.
I’ll second all of this. 2016 platinum el 4x4 3.73s. 93 oct, custom performance tuned, lifted on 35s and I’m getting 17 in the city and 22 on highway at 65mph all day long

Plati

Reaction score
Mine’s shockingly inefficient until it warms up all the way...
I swear my 2014EL 5.4 gets a couple more mpg after it warms all the way up … as in after an hour of interstate cruising. I've never run an exact test on this, just check computer reported mpg at various times. I'm gonna stop driving it cold, only when its fully warmed up … to get the optimum mpgs.

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
You also have to consider terrain; the hills in western PA kill my MPG regardless of the car I drive. Even my wife's new EV range is impacted by the hills.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine’s shockingly inefficient until it warms up all the way...

I will not drive any vehicle or operate equipment until it is at normal operating temp. I find the '16 Expy takes the longest to warm up. Good thing for remote start.

tl01

Reaction score
Doesn’t seem far off to me. Do you do any idling? I know I do something with picking up kids from school etc or using remote start. And hills in that driving? Driving style too... I know I floor my cars each time I get on the freeway so I never get close to stated mileage

OP
OP
S

S13ka24de

Reaction score
When is the 14.7 from? Meaning, from the trip computer from day 1? Is it more recent average from last couple thousand miles? Still seems pretty low overall even if factoring in break in period and even if running 87..

I only use 87 octane and have 6,500 miles. Trip 1 is from the day I picked it up my 2018 w/ 7 miles back in early December. It currently shows 17.8. Trip 2 that I reset and now shows about 2,000 miles is at 19.1 mpg average. I'm probably opposite you and more like 2/3 city vs 1/3 highway. This is also in Michigan w/ some pretty cold weather bringing the average down.
It is from the beginning

mpc11

Reaction score
It is from the beginning
Hit reset on one of the two trip displays and see what you now get. Also, are you in 2 wheel or 4 wheel? What drive mode; normal, sport, snow,..?

Plati

Reaction score
You also have to consider terrain; the hills in western PA kill my MPG regardless of the car I drive. Even my wife's new EV range is impacted by the hills.
I don't seem to have that result (driving through West Virginia or Rockies). Never ran a thorough test though. Yes it takes extra fuel to go up a hill …. /….. but then you coast down that backside ….\.… Seems like it balances out to me? What goes up must come down, and the exact same elevation change both ways. So overall its a wash?

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
18 Expy XLT 4x4 with only 1100 miles.
hand calc'ed after 500 mile road trip (country roads with slow downs/stops every ten miles or so for small towns) = 18.4 mpg

This is my third vehicle with the 3.5 EB and one thing I have learned:
the more you smile at the "boost" the less you will smile at the "ECO"
its one or the other.