2019 Model actual MPG way lower than expected

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricExpedition

Reaction score
2018 FX4 MAX with 20K miles and we are getting 20.9 MPG (dash). Wife is the leadfoot, but both mostly highway driving. We were getting 20.1 MPG (dash), but now that it is starting to warm up here in Georgia and I added a K&N air filter a couple months ago, it is continuing to improve. I only fillup with 93 octane before a trip. I always disable Auto S/S (thanks for the product link!) and also stopped using Eco mode. We had to lean more into the throttle to get up and going from a stop (personal problem) AND it seemed like it was always running at higher RPM's at 60+ MPH than in Normal mode (Ford's problem).

I even get 15.1 MPG (dash) in my 2013 Ecoboost F150 4x4 with 35" A/T tires and a leveling kit. I would say your 14.7 MPG is abnormally low for someone with conservative driving habits.

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
I don't seem to have that result (driving through West Virginia or Rockies). Never ran a thorough test though. Yes it takes extra fuel to go up a hill …. /….. but then you coast down that backside ….\.… Seems like it balances out to me? What goes up must come down, and the exact same elevation change both ways. So overall its a wash?

You are assuming an inverse relationship between fuel consumed traveling uphill versus what is consumed traveling downhill, and I think there are far too many variables to make that correlation (speed, grade, road, load, accessories, aerodynamics, transmission, etc.).

Also, are you suggesting you get the same mileage driving through the Alleghenies or Rockies as you do driving across flat terrain like the Midwest?

Reaction score
It sounds like your engine is not completely broken in yet.

When I first got my '16 it was getting an avg 15 mpg. Now at 30k, I'm at an avg of 18 mpg. A F150 buddy with an EB 3.5 works his truck hard and gets an avg 22 mpg "unloaded." I'm convinced normal driving will not sufficiently break in these EB's. It's almost like a diesel where you need to work them early on otherwise power and economy will constantly suffer.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What kind of a city? Suburban town, or gridlock NYC traffic? Because during my NYC commute I average about 8mpg. That's the price for driving a 3-ton hunk of steel at 2mph.

Suvdude2000

Reaction score
14? Yikes. I currently have a 6.2l 420hp yukon and get 18mpg around town. Gas mileage wouldn’t stop me from getting an expy but jeez.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
18 Expy XLT 4x4 with only 1100 miles.
hand calc'ed after 500 mile road trip (country roads with slow downs/stops every ten miles or so for small towns) = 18.4 mpg

This is my third vehicle with the 3.5 EB and one thing I have learned:
the more you smile at the "boost" the less you will smile at the "ECO"
its one or the other.
Factory boost ain’t nothin! 11-13psi stock, I’m running 22!!!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
14? Yikes. I currently have a 6.2l 420hp yukon and get 18mpg around town. Gas mileage wouldn’t stop me from getting an expy but jeez.

If you baby it and use eco mode, youd get the same in the expy. Its not hard to get good gas mileage out of these bad boys if you patient.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hammer the expy then lol. Sport mode turns my tank to a break dancer. I dnt put her in sport often but i live when i do. Even still my lifetime avg is 21 mpg per computer but mines is def broken in at 25k

Suvdude2000

Reaction score
Hammer the expy then lol. Sport mode turns my tank to a break dancer. I dnt put her in sport often but i live when i do. Even still my lifetime avg is 21 mpg per computer but mines is def broken in at 25k

What do you get around town in sport?

I don’t really care about the gas $$$. Gotta pay to play...but it’s just odd to me Ford is so married to the idea of a smaller engine with blowers...Why not throw a big v8 in it...get the same gas mileage, never overwork the engine and get a nice exhaust note...

And no. I’m not a GM guy so I’m not bashing.