2019 platinum 4x4 - performance tune recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjf1

Reaction score
This engine was not design to run on E85 the seal on injectors and other area are not compatible. You are asking for trouble down the line.

houlster

Reaction score
I opted for an EZ Lynk programmer and Flex tunes from duramaxtuner. The flex tunes allow you to run a performance tune, but will adjust to the octane you're currenlty running. Any octane w/ E0 - E30 content. The higher the ocatne, the more power you get, but you don't have to re-tune if you're stuck with getting 89 for a fillup in a mountain area. The tow tunes are +50hp / 90lb-ft. Perf tunes are +100/100. They have E tunes for up to E85 that go higher as well. https://duramaxtuner.com/vehicle-type/ford/ecoboost/ecoboost-tuners.html

Separate tunes for engine and transmission & the trans tuning is pretty awesome. Very responsive like driving in Sport mode, but will still cruise in higher gears. Tunes only take a few minutes to load so switching tow/perf is pretty easy. I towed a cargo trailer @max gross from Phoenix to northern CO with the tow tune and it did great. Very happy with it overall. If you do a search, there's a few threads with info on it in the F150 / ecoboost forums.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This engine was not design to run on E85 the seal on injectors and other area are not compatible. You are asking for trouble down the line.
Wrong…totally and completely wrong. Any modern cars fuel system is 100% compatible with Ethanol from a seal and rubber standpoint. You are stuck in the past. There are TONS of F150’s running on full E85 daily. Hey, guess what, same 2nd Gen 3.5TT too. Zero issues.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I opted for an EZ Lynk programmer and Flex tunes from duramaxtuner. The flex tunes allow you to run a performance tune, but will adjust to the octane you're currenlty running. Any octane w/ E0 - E30 content. The higher the ocatne, the more power you get, but you don't have to re-tune if you're stuck with getting 89 for a fillup in a mountain area. The tow tunes are +50hp / 90lb-ft. Perf tunes are +100/100. They have E tunes for up to E85 that go higher as well. https://duramaxtuner.com/vehicle-type/ford/ecoboost/ecoboost-tuners.html

Separate tunes for engine and transmission & the trans tuning is pretty awesome. Very responsive like driving in Sport mode, but will still cruise in higher gears. Tunes only take a few minutes to load so switching tow/perf is pretty easy. I towed a cargo trailer @max gross from Phoenix to northern CO with the tow tune and it did great. Very happy with it overall. If you do a search, there's a few threads with info on it in the F150 / ecoboost forums.
Excellent review!

Got any times in your Expy with 93 in the tank? Power claims are one thing, but real world numbers talk.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perfectly happy with all of my 5 Star tunes.
The E30 tune is very peppy, bit no where near the E50 Tune = 565 Rear Wheel HP & 621 .lbs/ft torque.
I mostly run the E93 Performance Tune = 464 RW HP + 551 ,lbs/ft torque.
I usually run a blend of approx. a 40% E85 + 60% 93 octane gasoline (is already E10). With this combo, and the IAT below 50 degrees, you can easily achieve a little over 22 .lbs of boost; and roast a set of Hancooks in 1st & 2nd gear.
Absolutely love the shift improvements with all of the tunes.
*Last months big thread on Tuners = no reported warranty denials by Ford if using a tune.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Retired automotive fuel systems engineer here
Your statement is NOT CORRECT
Any engine built since the mid 90's has to be equipped to use at least 10% ethanol in the fuel
Whether it is 10% or 100% the same components must be used (O-Rings, gaskets, injector coil winding insulation etc.)
100% Ethanol is 112 octane
E85 is about 108 octane
It is a great fuel especially in boosted engines
Seems to be so much misinformation of ethanol
If the government would get their act together & allow the use of higher ethanol concentrations we would all be driving better performing vehicles
Ethanol is also a "CARBON NEUTRAL" fuel

FYI
I have owned 7 ECOBOOST vehicles all of the were recalibrated with Livernois or 5 Star tunes
No problems with any of them

houlster

Reaction score
Excellent review!

Got any times in your Expy with 93 in the tank? Power claims are one thing, but real world numbers talk.
Nope, those are the listed specs for the tune so take it with a grain of salt. Nothing out of line with all the other tunes I looked at though, so not really suspect. I did not have it very long before adding the tune. It just feels good & very quick to me, and pulls like a beast with the heavy trailer behind it.

The tranny tuning is what I really like & notice all the time, every time I drive it. It's not just a WOT type of thing.

PNWExpy

Reaction score
I just installed the 92 performance 5 star tune last week. A lot of extra pep and was really enjoying it but I only got about 120 miles outta it. It’s dropped outta gear 3 times since the instal while just cruising. After a decent thud it cuts all power and goes to neutral. Able to limp it home with no power/turbo. Doesn’t know what gear it wants to be in and then sends a few codes. I have an email in but I’m sure (after their two week vacation) they’ll tell me to redownlod the tunes and try against. It’s set back to stock for now!

PNWExpy

Reaction score
Yeah I will say I haven’t really heard much bad about them. And what you do hear just seems like an unhappy camper who wants to poo on anyone.

But anyways, they sent a revised tune a week after I emailed them. It’s installed now with about 50 miles on it so far. No problems so far and it does seem better (the tranny learning stage was pretty bad on the first time). I’ll report back after a few hundred miles