2019 Rear Seat Entertainment Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fizzy - I confirmed the videos are M4V encoded with H.264 so I'm REALLY curious about the format and codec you utilized. Have a good night :)

Odd... all my media is converted to the following format, and they all load when I put the SD card in directly to the drivers side RSE screen (no USB):

I'm using the mp4 container, not m4v.

upload_2021-5-11_0-0-3.png

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can hardly make it out... but are you using H265?

Edit: Yeah, you're using H265. There's no way these units can cope with that codec. Hell, even some laptops struggle with that.

Use H264. You'll end up with bigger files, but the compression isn't so extreme and doesn't require a powerful CPU.

Last edited:

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I encoded two of the same DVD's with DVD Ripper using the MP4 container and H264 codec. The file size tripled, but I can view both MP4's in the Ford/Voxx RSE using an exFAT formatted USB stick. I'll transfer everything to a SD Card when I'm done and try some of the other approved codecs to see if I can get the size down.

Fizzy - Thank you for the assist. I didn't realize H265 was an option in the software so (with the change) I'm good for now!

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I encoded two of the same DVD's with DVD Ripper using the MP4 container and H264 codec. The file size tripled, but I can view both MP4's in the Ford/Voxx RSE using an exFAT formatted USB stick. I'll transfer everything to a SD Card when I'm done and try some of the other approved codecs to see if I can get the size down.

Fizzy - Thank you for the assist. I didn't realize H265 was an option in the software so (with the change) I'm good for now!

Nice! Yeah, 264 isn't as compact, but then that means you don't need such a powerful machine to uncompact it in realtime whilst watching.

You can trim down the image quality, resolution, audio quality etc to dial it into a compromise between file size and quality.

Personally, I just got a 128gb SD card and tossed around 100 movies on. Plenty to keep our kids quiet (kinda) on road trips!

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks!

I played around with the settings and was able to reduce the file size from 2GB to 388MB with the following options selected:

Screenshot 2021-05-11 142231.jpg

I should have plenty of room to spare for music and movies when I'm done switching to a 128GB exFAT SD Card.

Last edited:

Midnight451

Reaction score
I was only able to connect Bluetooth headphones to monitor A. Were you able to connect to monitor B?

I have a feeling only the infered headphone will work for that.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was only able to connect Bluetooth headphones to monitor A. Were you able to connect to monitor B?

I have a feeling only the infered headphone will work for that.
It's been a while since I've been in the site and I just noticed your post.

You're probably right. I believe that the RSE can only connect to one Bluetooth device a time so you're likely limited to a single headrest.

The IR and wired headsets obviously work on the passenger (B) side but I never tried Bluetooth or see any reference to it in the manual for this scenario.

I'll check it out and post back.