2019 Rear Seat Entertainment Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khammer

Reaction score
Nice! Yeah, 264 isn't as compact, but then that means you don't need such a powerful machine to uncompact it in realtime whilst watching.

You can trim down the image quality, resolution, audio quality etc to dial it into a compromise between file size and quality.

Personally, I just got a 128gb SD card and tossed around 100 movies on. Plenty to keep our kids quiet (kinda) on road trips!

I have been attempting to accomplish this in preparation for our summer trip to the beach. It would definitely would be more convenient to have many of our dvds on one device and simple menu.

I cannot seem to find anything that will effectively rip the DVDs, (for free). Any advice on program/software and method to rip?

I have tried handbrake with no luck, even installed the libdvdcss attachment to get past encryption. seems the newest versions available may block the decryption.

Tried the VLC program to convert and save but the only thing that gets saved is the protection warning against any copying. Other programs that are "free" only rip the first 5 or 10 minutes. the IT department is going to probably pay me a visit soon if I keep installing programs.

thanks for any help,

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used WinX DVD Ripper. It was free and simple to use.
Funny you say that. I read some reviews over lunch and this one stood out to me. I used to use AnyDVD but that was paid and this thread reminded me I don't have anything on my newer pc yet.

khammer

Reaction score
I used WinX DVD Ripper. It was free and simple to use.
I need to look again tonight after work. I thought I was using that program and limited me to 10 minutes but maybe I was using a different one. I am only finding the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum "Trial" that is allowing a limit on how much. not seeing the "free" version many articles and Youtube videos were referencing.

Last edited:

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need to look again tonight after work. I thought I was using that program and limited me to 10 minutes but maybe I was using a different one. I am only finding the WinX DVD Ripper Platinum "Trial" that is allowing a limit on how much. not seeing the "free" version many articles and Youtube videos were referencing.
From what I read, it's tricky. Go to their download page, and get the license for the free version. Otherwise you ARE limited.