2020 Expedition Max Platinum Purchase Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
Agree with all, additionally it’s nice you are able to work with the dealer close to you. If they don’t have the exact Expedition you want they can do a trade. They do it all day long.
As for your used car. If your up to it and willing, I’d sell it out right. Run it in Kelley Blue Book and price it. If Car Max is offering $14000 it’s likely worth 17,000.
You could benefit a couple thousand for listing it yourself on Craigslist and Auto Trader.
I did it for my Explorer it sold and made out $3000 more than what dealer was going to give me on trade.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was able to do both x-plan along with the ford rebates. Also with x-plan they are limited to about $100 for “dealer fees”.

AmpForE

Reaction score
Good advice [emoji3595] on the X plan. I am not sure if the X plan takes this out of the equation or not. But financing has became a huge pain at the dealerships. They must make some kind of kick back from certain lenders. Even if you payed cash they still may give you a better deal if you use their lenders. Make sure they are up front with you about that. I have seen as much as $3K off with their lenders vs brining my own finance or cash. Seems stupid to me, but they do it and act like they are doing you a favor. Plus the last day of the month at the end of the day you maybe able to sneak out a few extra dollars or free floor mats or something like that. Got a “free” bed cover on my last F-150 last day of the month at 9 p.m. X plan probably not. But you never know. Sales staff has to meet sales goals and so does the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dealerships do make money when you let them arrange the financing. How much depends. If there was a 3k difference in the price of your deal then the sales manager is really messing with you.

Dealership have relationships with banks, and they send their top tier customers to them. Banks offer rate cuts and the dealer can literally pick up the stock phone, call his contact at the bank and the bank may approve a marginal customer with less than perfect credit, but in return, the dealer needs to feed the bank with good customers.

ALWAYS get a quote from your own bank. And if you decide to use your own bank, DO not sign any dealer contract. Dealers will lie to you and ask who your bank is. You tell them Bank Of xxxxxx. they will say we work with them, I can get you a better rate, if they do, great, let the dealer do it. If the don’t get you a rate you like, do not sign a contract. Some will ask you to sign a provisional contract till you bring the check. Be careful, you will likely get a call from dealer saying we need to submit this today or we can’t hold off the price we agree to. Now the dealer is putting pressure on you. After searching for weeks, on the lot of hours, most people say okay cause they don’t want to start the process all over again. And dealers know this.

Just don’t sign a contract with a dealer unless you are comfortable with them submitting it to their bank. Once they submit, things get tough to unwind.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any high volume Ford dealers within a good drive of you? Laura GMC comes to mind on the GM front, they will beat the family plan pricing offered by GM for just about anybody..their niche is sell tons and tons of volume for cheap instead of holding out for a few extra dollars. I think I’ve heard Brandon Ford is similar, but I have no idea where Brandon Ford is on gods green earth lol. I’ve gone with my dad to purchase several F-Series trucks for business use and our dealer always does better for us on the commercial end than a private buyer could get with X-plan. You have to find the right dealer/ sales relationship though. Never hurts to ask around. Never be afraid to walk out the door if you aren’t getting a deal either. $10k off sticker isn’t in fairy tail land, it’s done all the time...however you want an in demand truck. They sell a bit higher than something that sits.

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya, we walked away from that deal. We had the check cut for the exact amount and they had to bring the SUV in from another dealer. My wife and I where dumbfounded about the entire situation. We got the phone call survey and I made sure they felt it. Hahaaa. So stupid, but I happens. On my Raptor they wanted to add $1500.00 if I didn’t use their lenders. I said that’s fine I am sure another dealer will wave that BS fee and walked out. Floor manager called me 15 minutes later and was a nice guy and “waved it”. “Could get fired for it”. I hate shopping for cars. Did my Expy almost entirely by text and the web. Only way I will shop from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife has decided she can't live with anything but a 2020 Expedition Max Platinum. We are going to purchase this vehicle

You already lost in the negotiation. Unless you're willing to walk away, you lose.

That being said, I've been in the situation many times and have ended up satisfied.

A fair price is what you and the dealer are wiling to accept, and that different for different participants.

2019 Plat Exp

Reaction score
As for the trade not sure what state you are in but where I am the trade in value takes the tax off of the vehicle purchase price you would owe. For instance if the new Vehicle is sale price is 60k and they give you 40k on a trade you only end up paying 20k in sales tax on the new vehicle regardless what you owe on the trade. In my state that 40k trade in with the tax savings is effectively getting 2.4k more for it at 6% sales tax so it would be equivalent to getting 42.4k if you sell it out right or to Carvana / Carmax ect.

Craigga542

Reaction score
As for the trade not sure what state you are in but where I am the trade in value takes the tax off of the vehicle purchase price you would owe. For instance if the new Vehicle is sale price is 60k and they give you 40k on a trade you only end up paying 20k in sales tax on the new vehicle regardless what you owe on the trade. In my state that 40k trade in with the tax savings is effectively getting 2.4k more for it at 6% sales tax so it would be equivalent to getting 42.4k if you sell it out right or to Carvana / Carmax ect.

Yes, definitely depends and worth looking in to. Some states you can sell/trade the car almost anywhere and show the certificate of sale when you go to pay sales tax. Other states require the trade to be at the place of purchase, otherwise you get zero trade reduction.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try looking in the Deep South. I found the best deals in ga and fl. Even with shipping I was still ahead of any of the local guys. As said, check on the trade in tax offset. That saved me a bundle. They actually rejiggered the number more in my favor when it was all said and done.

If you are looking at extended warranty, ask then to match flood ford price. You can print that price out online and hand it to them. I even screen shot red it and got it matched at the place I bought. Otherwise you can just go there. The local guys were enraged by the flood price and wanted 1k more than that. They basically told me to go to hell when I explained I wasn’t donating the extra money to them on that or the expy.

Last edited:

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try looking in the Deep South. I found he best deal in ga and fl. Even with shipping I was still ahead of any of the local guys. As said, check on the trade in tax offset. That saved me a bundle. They actually rejiggered the number more in my favor when it was all said and done.

If you are looking at extended warranty, ask then to match flood ford price. You can print that price out online and hand it to them. I even screen shot red it and got it matched at the place I bought. Otherwise you can just go there. The local guys were enraged by the flood price and wanted 1k more than that. They basically told me to go to hell when I explained I wasn’t donating the extra money to them on that or the expy.

I was willing to go any where for one at the right price. Hitch up the camper for an adventure getting it and then hitch up and bring it on home.

Problem was that I found very few 4x4s in the South. I was a little surprised that there were so few. Pick-ups were readily available, but Expys not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk