2020 XLT Stereo Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKautz

Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Expedition Max with the 202A option package that had a few other options (i.e. Nav., Captain’s chairs, sunroof). Opted for this over the Limited due to about a roughly $6,500 price difference when similarly equipped. My kids are just going to wipe buggers on the inside anyway. However, I just couldn’t take the 6 speaker stereo. I’m not looking for amazing sound, but this stereo is weak. I’m totally fine with the stock Bose setup in my Q7 and Boxster, but this just wasn’t going to work.

So at 350 miles all the door panels came off, and new speakers went in. Also put in a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp which fit nicely in the extra space towards the dash under the center console (a bit up from the cupholders). Hopefully it won’t overheat (time will tell). I retained the factory head and spliced in to the factory harness (using line level inputs). Made me queasy in the process, but all went fine.

Project is almost done, and it sounds much better. Not perfect, but not like crap like before. I can hear the stereo now over the road noise.

However, just wanted to post a few ideas that might help:

Easiest point I found to run power for the amp was the grommet for the hood release cable on the driver side. Unfortunately, that’s opposite the battery so it’s not ideal, but it’s easy to reach.

Tweeter wire feed for front A posts actually split off in the door at the factory speaker, not the head unit. Made using the aftermarket speaker crossovers (mounted in the door) very easy. I retained all factory wiring.

Cutting holes in the rear door panel for new tweeters with a dremel is very easy. There are already holes (probably for the B&O system) in the back of the panel that almost act as a guide.

System still lacks deep bass, but for a $700ish upgrade, I wasn’t expecting a ton of bass. The sound is a bit “crisp” but I don’t hate the sound anymore.

Last step is the Forscan removal of the fake engine noise (and auto start), which I’ll work on soon.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a 2020 Expedition Max with the 202A option package that had a few other options (i.e. Nav., Captain’s chairs, sunroof). Opted for this over the Limited due to about a roughly $6,500 price difference when similarly equipped. My kids are just going to wipe buggers on the inside anyway. However, I just couldn’t take the 6 speaker stereo. I’m not looking for amazing sound, but this stereo is weak. I’m totally fine with the stock Bose setup in my Q7 and Boxster, but this just wasn’t going to work.

So at 350 miles all the door panels came off, and new speakers went in. Also put in a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp which fit nicely in the extra space towards the dash under the center console (a bit up from the cupholders). Hopefully it won’t overheat (time will tell). I retained the factory head and spliced in to the factory harness (using line level inputs). Made me queasy in the process, but all went fine.

Project is almost done, and it sounds much better. Not perfect, but not like crap like before. I can hear the stereo now over the road noise.

Easiest point I found to run power for the amp was the grommet for the hood release cable on the driver side. Unfortunately, that’s opposite the battery so it’s not ideal, but it’s easy to reach.

Tweeter wire feed for front A posts actually split off in the door at the factory speaker, not the head unit. Made using the aftermarket speaker crossovers (mounted in the door) very easy. I retained all factory wiring.

Cutting holes in the rear door panel for new tweeters with a dremel is very easy. There are already holes (probably for the B&O system) in the back of the panel that almost act as a guide.

System still lacks deep bass, but for a $700ish upgrade, I wasn’t expecting a ton of bass. The sound is a bit “crisp” but I don’t hate the sound anymore.

Last step is the Forscan removal of the fake engine noise (and auto start), which I’ll work on soon.

According to the options sheet, the 2019 202A’s have a 9 speaker system. Also, I think it is only the upper trim levels with the fake engine noise.

OP
OP
J

JKautz

Reaction score
According to the options sheet, the 2019 202A’s have a 9 speaker system. Also, I think it is only the upper trim levels with the fake engine noise.

You are correct on the fake engine noise; after getting everything back together I don't get any engine noise.

However, I have a 2020 (not 2019) Expedition, and I've only got 6 speakers in the car. 4 in the doors, and two tweeters in the A column. Must have been a model year change.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
However, I have a 2020 (not 2019) Expedition, and I've only got 6 speakers in the car. 4 in the doors, and two tweeters in the A column. Must have been a model year change.

I just checked the options pdf and it does appear that the 9 speaker was eliminated from the 202a for 2020.

OP
OP
J

JKautz

Reaction score

So after about 500 miles I just couldn't live with the "crisp" (OK, it sounded crappy) sound at high volumes. Sounded fine for regular volume, but wasn't great for high volume. If my wife says something about bad sound, I know it is an issue.

After some research, Ford actually tunes out bass for their low end speakers to keep them from blowing, especially at high volume. I was about to install a LOC converter to fix the issue (another $180), when I came across a FORSCAN code(s) that deletes out the factory sound tuning and knocks the signal down to pre-amp levels. Both codes 100% worked on Expedition (the non-Sony code):

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=3704

Also, this might help someone, here is the wire color coding for the Expedition speakers with the setup like mine:

Left front tweeter positive: green/orange, negative: gray/orange

Right front tweeter positive: violet/orange, negative: yellow/orange

Left front door positive: white, negative: white/brown

Right front door positive: white/violet, negative: white/orange

Left rear door positive: white/green, negative: brown/yellow

Right rear door positive: brown/white, negative: brown/blue

Lastly, I continue to find no reason to spend $50+ for an add on wiring harness; I've had no issues cutting into mine (outside of the psychological concern of cutting the wiring harness of a $60K car).

alwineinger

Reaction score
How is the 3rd row sound after the upgrade? My teenagers complain that they can't hear anything (music or audiobooks) in our '19 XLT 200a Max when we're on the highway in the 3rd row without us fading to the rear and bumping the volume to the point that the 2nd row kids complain. I've been contemplating adding speakers to the rear side panels or pillars, but haven't cared enough to pop the panels off to see what I'd be dealing with. My buddy's '19 202a with the 10 speaker setup has door tweeters that ours doesn't, but doesn't have any speakers further back than the rear doors -- so I'm not sure if there are factory holes for mounting anything back there. If I can fix the 3rd row sound by running a new amp and replacing speakers, that's a lot easier that adding speakers to places that Ford didn't intend...

Nalvenin

Reaction score

Hi, do you have pictures of the install and a parts list, etc? thanks.

Trevin Demby

Reaction score
So after about 500 miles I just couldn't live with the "crisp" (OK, it sounded crappy) sound at high volumes. Sounded fine for regular volume, but wasn't great for high volume. If my wife says something about bad sound, I know it is an issue.

After some research, Ford actually tunes out bass for their low end speakers to keep them from blowing, especially at high volume. I was about to install a LOC converter to fix the issue (another $180), when I came across a FORSCAN code(s) that deletes out the factory sound tuning and knocks the signal down to pre-amp levels. Both codes 100% worked on Expedition (the non-Sony code):

I'm considering changing out the speakers and adding a sub and an amp in my 2020 no B&O Expy. I was considering getting an LCI6 LOC, but realized that it didn't have accubass. Is the FORSCAN solution working well for you?

Thanks,
Trev

kjv013

Reaction score
How is the 3rd row sound after the upgrade? My teenagers complain that they can't hear anything (music or audiobooks) in our '19 XLT 200a Max when we're on the highway in the 3rd row without us fading to the rear and bumping the volume to the point that the 2nd row kids complain. I've been contemplating adding speakers to the rear side panels or pillars, but haven't cared enough to pop the panels off to see what I'd be dealing with. My buddy's '19 202a with the 10 speaker setup has door tweeters that ours doesn't, but doesn't have any speakers further back than the rear doors -- so I'm not sure if there are factory holes for mounting anything back there. If I can fix the 3rd row sound by running a new amp and replacing speakers, that's a lot easier that adding speakers to places that Ford didn't intend...

JKautz. Thanks for paving the way. Could you provide feedback on this question and Nalnevin's request for photos and parts? Thanks.