2021 expedition tranny issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetallicaGray

Reaction score
2021 expedition 47k miles had a weird issue. Driving along at 35mph the car was in 7th gear (is that normal?)I stepped on the gas a bit…the car downshifted into 1st. Then the vehicle started to violently shake and shudder until I let go of the gas and then it shifted into 3rd and back to normal.

Is this normal? I can only find tranny issue posts on 2018 and before.

Tia

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2021 expedition 47k miles had a weird issue. Driving along at 35mph the car was in 7th gear (is that normal?)I stepped on the gas a bit…the car downshifted into 1st. Then the vehicle started to violently shake and shudder until I let go of the gas and then it shifted into 3rd and back to normal.

Is this normal? I can only find tranny issue posts on 2018 and before.

Tia
It shouldn't have down shifted all the way to 1st. Not normal at those speeds

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. But is it normal for the car to be in 7/8th gear at 35 mph?
Yes, if engine load is low it will keep up shifting to save gas. In my opinion this is one of the main factors causing issues in these transmissions. Shifts are commanded at low oil pressure and early shifts cause torque converter shudder.

I generally use tow mode in town to force it to go through all gears and delay the shift points.

Another option is to lock out all gears at stop signs and press the + button to allow upshifts.

There is also a TSB on transmission issues. Search the forum for “neutral out condition”

OP
OP
M

MetallicaGray

Reaction score
Yes, if engine load is low it will keep up shifting to save gas. In my opinion this is one of the main factors causing issues in these transmissions. Shifts are commanded at low oil pressure and early shifts cause torque converter shudder.

I generally use tow mode in town to force it to go through all gears and delay the shift points.

Another option is to lock out all gears at stop signs and press the + button to allow upshifts.

There is also a TSB on transmission issues. Search the forum for “neutral out condition”
Thank u soooooo much. This is exactly what it is.

FalconDriver

Reaction score
These transmissions are amazing! My 2020 with 45k miles has been in the shop for a month now (3rd time) They tried to rebuild and then replace the valve body. Now it’s an entire rebuild of the transmission, not new but rebuild. I hope yours turns out better than mine, best of luck.

upinclouds

Reaction score
I assume this was covered by powertrain warranty?
(i just got a 2020 Max w/ 44k miles- these posts make me nervous!)

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume this was covered by powertrain warranty?
(i just got a 2020 Max w/ 44k miles- these posts make me nervous!)
You may need to upgrade your engine coolant thermostat to the 180F (BR3Z8575G) part.