2021 XLT Halogen Headlight to LED?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiliPowder

Reaction score
Picking up my FX4 XLT Expedition tomorrow. I've been through 6 Explorers, and the last couple all came with pretty bright LED's. I ordered an Expedition this time around because why the #### not. I just looked at the sticker, and it says halogen headlights; whoops. They'll probably be fine, but I was wondering if there was an easy swap to make them brighter. I do a LOT of highway driving, so I like big vehicles that can handle a deer hit, and bright lights to see those ####ers. This is a lease, so I need something reversible as well.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Search the forum.... multiple threads on how to swap (easy) i went with hikari leds....huge difference for the better

William Miller

Reaction score

Take a look at post 56 for the bulbs used by that member. I think just about any LED bulb meant for headlights will work you just have to watch the length.

Here is a You Tube video showing how to perform the conversion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNkeAG2jeFw

Good luck!

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If deer are an issue, I found that the fog conversion to LED lights up the side of the roads decently (well, maybe not good enough for higher speeds, but great to see in the bushes and growth to the left and right).

there are a few LED manufacturers. Go with a decent quality modern design (slimmer the better to match the Halogen filament location). I went with Hikari. There’s no triggering of any ‘bulb out’ condition. Converting to LED turn lights will trigger hyperflash on the dash, but can be fixed with Forscan (a diagnostic tool that you can download, coupled with an OBD port connector).