2022 Expedition - Cracked Roof Panel; Cracked Lift gate Spoiler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Joining all of you here. I too am dealing with this very issue and was denied today initially by my dealer. They did tell me they will submit it to Ford and follow up, but never brought up that the issue is common and that Ford was covering it. I'm going tomorrow again and see wha They say after I share these new findings

So here is how it all started for me. I attempted to lift the liftgate on Friday the 19th where it was about 20 degrees in NJ. We heard the popping and cracking and thought it was ice. Didn't think too much of it. Opened it again later and I we heard it again and the lift gate closed back up. My crack is pretty significant and Ford is not taking responsibility. They are assuming "Something fell on it and cracked it" and recommended I put in a claim with my insurance. It's been a crazy day. From dealer to body shop to my insurance agent. I am going to fight this.

Thank you all for sharing your experience and updates. Video attached. Heading back to the dealer with all thus ammunition youbguus have provided. I will keep all posted. THANKS
Curious. Was anything present on the roof/on the spoiler like snow/ice when you opened it? Usually its ice buildup in the joint that causes the crack from what ive learned

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious. Was anything present on the roof/on the spoiler like snow/ice when you opened it? Usually its ice buildup in the joint that causes the crack from what ive learned
I mean here's the thing, that shouldn't matter. cars have been out in snow and ice for over 100 years. For one, this thing is tall enough that almost no one here can see on the roof to check for ice before opening a tailgate, nor would anyone really think of doing it. If the design and/or as built tolerances are so bad that this problem surfaces for owners when there's inclement weather, then i would say Ford is to blame regardless. Many of us feel like we're walking on eggshells with these things as it is.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mean here's the thing, that shouldn't matter. cars have been out in snow and ice for over 100 years. For one, this thing is tall enough that almost no one here can see on the roof to check for ice before opening a tailgate, nor would anyone really think of doing it. If the design and/or as built tolerances are so bad that this problem surfaces for owners when there's inclement weather, then i would say Ford is to blame regardless. Many of us feel like we're walking on eggshells with these things as it is.
I agree, ice or no ice, its still Fords fault for the bad quality.

1775SS

Reaction score
Finally taking my 22 Timberline in tomorrow to get the roof and spoiler repaired. Dealer said, 4 - 5 days for the repair. They said Ford is covering the cost including a loner car.
I will report back when I pick up my suv.
I haven't heard much from anyone that had the repairs done and the overall outcome, from quality of the repair and any warranty issues.

Stand by.

cyguy

Reaction score
I'm dealing the same issue with my 2022 Expy Platinum. We had temperature in the teens. I took our vehicle into the local dealership a few days later to ask that the spoiler and roof damage be inspected and covered under warranty and referenced the service bulletin posted in this thread.

First visit to dealership: Dealer inspected, generally agreed with me, and sent pictures to Ford.

Second visit to dealership: Dealer was working with a local, Ford-approved body shop. Body shop reported that roof damage was worse than initially believed. Dealer is ordering a new roof panel (section of the roof, not the whole roof), and we're waiting for it. No ETA. Repair is not done.

The dealership agrees this should be covered under warranty and seems to be doing what is necessary to get it right, which I appreciate. I'm optimistic. With that said:

1. The service rep says the spoiler size is redesigned and somewhat smaller. Is that right? I thought it was a manufacturer install issue, and the margin needs to be corrected.

2. I haven't seen anything in writing confirming that Ford agrees this is covered under warranty. When I asked for that, the dealership said that's not put in writing and given out, and when I called Ford's corporate customer service line, she said essentially the same thing. The dealership hasn't asked me to sign anything saying I have to pay for the repair, so that gives me some comfort. If anyone here has more experience with Ford warranties, please let me know if I should ask again for additional assurance.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm dealing the same issue with my 2022 Expy Platinum. We had temperature in the teens. I took our vehicle into the local dealership a few days later to ask that the spoiler and roof damage be inspected and covered under warranty and referenced the service bulletin posted in this thread.

First visit to dealership: Dealer inspected, generally agreed with me, and sent pictures to Ford.

Second visit to dealership: Dealer was working with a local, Ford-approved body shop. Body shop reported that roof damage was worse than initially believed. Dealer is ordering a new roof panel (section of the roof, not the whole roof), and we're waiting for it. No ETA. Repair is not done.

The dealership agrees this should be covered under warranty and seems to be doing what is necessary to get it right, which I appreciate. I'm optimistic. With that said:

1. The service rep says the spoiler size is redesigned and somewhat smaller. Is that right? I thought it was a manufacturer install issue, and the margin needs to be corrected.

2. I haven't seen anything in writing confirming that Ford agrees this is covered under warranty. When I asked for that, the dealership said that's not put in writing and given out, and when I called Ford's corporate customer service line, she said essentially the same thing. The dealership hasn't asked me to sign anything saying I have to pay for the repair, so that gives me some comfort. If anyone here has more experience with Ford warranties, please let me know if I should ask again for additional assurance.

Apparently, the dealership doesn't want to guarantee you anything before Ford guarantees them first.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back on post #40, I looked into the part numbers from a pre-refresh and 2022 and they are the same. So based on that no it isn't a smaller new part. So it is either a factory install issue or a new part supplier IMO.

1775SS

Reaction score

The Ford body shop I'm at said the exact same thing about the warranty. They should also cover a loner car.
They told me today, 7 - 10 days for my roof panel to come in. Spoiler is ready and painted. Looks like this is gonna be a 3 week to a month process to complete.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered already. This thread has gotten HUGE. But.... is there a copy of the TSB available?

If I want to check mine BEFORE damage happens is there a guide to what to look at and/or measure?

1775SS

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered already. This thread has gotten HUGE. But.... is there a copy of the TSB available?

If I want to check mine BEFORE damage happens is there a guide to what to look at and/or measure?
Go to post 111. I showed the body shop this tsb, and they haven't seen it as of Dec 23. So, word is very slow at getting around to dealers on this issue.
Read through this thread. It's very informative.
This is what I sent to the Ford body shop.Screenshot_20231219_214107_Chrome.jpg