2022 Expy Preview

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PBryanRN79

Reaction score
I've seen spy shots where it looks like the 22 Expedition will get a version of the Mustang Mach-E's huge screen and dash...which I'm ok with. Just because the Expedition is based on the F-150 platform doesn't mean that it has to share the interior with the truck. If I'm going to purchase a HUGE SUV I don't want it to look like the truck when I get behind the wheel. That being said, I can deal with having the same interior as the 21 F-150 because of the huge screen. Let's face it. We are, for all intents and purposes, in an infotainment screen war with every other car maker. Tesla started it off, Ram brought it to the full size trucks, GM updated theirs...somewhat. The Expedition could blow the competition out of the water if it had a screen like the Mach-E. I also think that it deserves a unique interior like the rest of the SUV line up.

As for the exterior, as long as it's not ugly, I'd be ok with it looking like the truck or an evolution of the current design.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new f150 news sounds real Interesting and could translate really well to the expy. The weight distribution hitch guidance seems like a sure fire bet. The payload sensor also seems somewhat helpful, particularly with towing and hauling. Hopefully, ford draws some interesting stuff for the expy and navi.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the expy is getting the lightnings interior, I will say the screen is def tacked and tacky looking, but its a huge improvement over what's current and even better than the gas f150s new interior.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lower trim lightnings have the current dash with the 15 in screen molded into it, it actually looks better than the platinum, though the platinum still is outfitted better.

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
Mercedes et.al. made that mistake with their bolted-on iPad by mounting it way out in front of the dash with laptop mounts. It seems like the 2022 is a force fit, and their efforts to mold it into the dash were futile. My 2020 KR's screen is close to awful, in both size and resolution but you can get used to it. Considering this was a 2015-2017-ish effort with that era's technology in hand they didn't do TOO bad. Sync3 isn't all that terrible either anchored down with a circa 2007 graphics processor. Strange, but some of the CPUs elsewhere in the truck are up to date and modern.

What I'm hoping is the 2022 interior preview photos are just a placement attempt to see how a molded portrait mounted laptop would look in photos. In other words, I'm hoping for a redesigned dash to hold the screen much like they did on the Teslas. That would get rid of about 5000 buttons straddled all over the dash. Button placement needs some work, like grouping for like-functionality. The roof's glass and shade controls are scattered in with the interior lights, and I have to figure out what they mean when I just try to crack the roof. Same with the rear door release etc. Ever pop that when it's raining lol?

Anyone notice the body styling is pretty darn close to series 4? Or maybe this isn't the start of a new series? Or maybe the 2022 is not a redesign at all, just various upgrades. Also here's hoping they keep that twin turbo 6 too. No it's not an 8, but I like it. In fact, I really like the whole SUV. You've gotta admit, they did a pretty good job on this version.

Last edited:

buckwheat-phd

Reaction score
My 2c for upcoming changes (coming from a 2020 KR and reviewing the 2022 material that's just now hitting the streets):

Down shifts need some attention. This can stick you in the middle of an intersection post haste.
That crazy engine shutoff at stoplights needs a complete override.
Move the phone charger from squeezed in below the radio controls to the top of the dash.
Tweak the lane keeping software to be more sensitive without running you off the road before it kicks in.
Put a back seat camera somewhere so it can be viewed on the main screen. Keep an eye on the kids, the little flip down mirror just doesn't cut it.
Not sure if the "kick open" rear lift gate needs to be dumped completely or just re-worked. If I had a nickle every time it's bonked me in the head on the way down I'd be rich. I see a lot of you have just unplugged it, may try that soon.
Rear captains chairs need to slide left/right.
This one's just my opinion, but the low ratio rear end in the towing package is a mess. 4000 RPM at 70 mph has got to go.
A detailed description on what the differences are between "eco", "sport", "normal" etc.
In fact, let ME decide on each of the parameters for handling, such as suspension roll, stiffness, shifting patterns, and "eco?" <-- what in heck IS that? Manual only states "it helps economize your drive".
This SUV needs SHIFT PADDLES on the steering wheel something fierce. Assuming they're going to keep the Chevy 10 speed, but the little buttons on the console are well, they aren't.
Don't rely on "Android Motors" software (or whatever it's called) for us Android users. Just short of ridiculous. Great interface for iPhone though.
Somebody in Detroit has got to figure out the swaying and rolling that the CCD produces. Such a marvelous, high tech, superior hardware system that appears to be mangled through software again.
On the plus side, my CCD does a magnificent job of stepping over potholes, manhole covers and bumps. Now I REALLY like that and it works.
The IRS arms in the back just look funky if you're coming up from behind it. Something's wrong with all that.
Put a folding entry/exit grab handle up on the headliner near the door on the drivers side. Just like it is on the passenger side. Any reason they removed this for the driver?

So much for my nit picking, as the rest of the car is fantastic. With a couple of other expensive foreign cars in the garage, THIS one is my go-to. All the time. I just love to drive it.

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To see the interior, look at the f150 lightning Interior. It's hard to find, but theres a different interior for the lariat and below trims that I'm sure the expy xlt and ltd will get. I. Really hoping they add air suspension to the ccd.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mercedes et.al. made that mistake with their bolted-on iPad by mounting it way out in front of the dash with laptop mounts. It seems like the 2022 is a force fit, and their efforts to mold it into the dash were futile. My 2020 KR's screen is close to awful, in both size and resolution but you can get used to it. Considering this was a 2015-2017-ish effort with that era's technology in hand they didn't do TOO bad. Sync3 isn't all that terrible either anchored down with a circa 2007 graphics processor. Strange, but some of the CPUs elsewhere in the truck are up to date and modern.

What I'm hoping is the 2022 interior preview photos are just a placement attempt to see how a molded portrait mounted laptop would look in photos. In other words, I'm hoping for a redesigned dash to hold the screen much like they did on the Teslas. That would get rid of about 5000 buttons straddled all over the dash. Button placement needs some work, like grouping for like-functionality. The roof's glass and shade controls are scattered in with the interior lights, and I have to figure out what they mean when I just try to crack the roof. Same with the rear door release etc. Ever pop that when it's raining lol?

Anyone notice the body styling is pretty darn close to series 4? Or maybe this isn't the start of a new series? Or maybe the 2022 is not a redesign at all, just various upgrades. Also here's hoping they keep that twin turbo 6 too. No it's not an 8, but I like it. In fact, I really like the whole SUV. You've gotta admit, they did a pretty good job on this version.
2022's are a mid-cycle refresh akin to the 2018 F-150. It will continue using the 4th gen platform but offer the Powerboost as an option plus an updated exterior and interior.