2022 Ford Expedition Stuck in Production

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HtownHog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How is everyone getting updates on their orders? I order mine 2/1 and do not even have an order number yet. I just called the dealer and they said still no update
call marketing and see if they can tell you if you have any hold. I spoke with them last week and they finally confirmed I'm on a commodity hold (no info what is holding it up though) Limited MAX 304a CCD, max tow, 2nd row bench, pretty much every option checked ordered 2/2. I have not removed active park assist-default removed with max tow on limited-or auto start stop since not an option on the 304a.

Talked with the order manager and he said it was sitting in priority 2 which I believe is used for commodity issues most of the time. very limited scheduling planned this week for late July build dates and they did clean up scheduling the last couple of weeks for May-June holes. still frustrated we are seeing "in transit" dealer stock trucks being sent with near identical builds while ours get passed over.

Cadet7263

Reaction score
I ordered mine last November. If you cancel the 2022 and try for 2023, I would venture to say that you could face the same problem with the next model year.

From my research, the problems were driven by covid and poor choices on the Ford parts ordering group.

1. At the start of the shutdowns someone at Ford guessed that people would not purchase as many vehicles so they canceled their order for chips. Only one plant in the far east makes the chips required.
2. Orders for vehicles went up and orders were placed for the chips and Ford was put at the back of the line
3. There was a fire at the plant and they did not have any production or limited production for several weeks or months.
4. Plant was back up in the fall and an earthquake stuck the same plant and production was stopped again
5. Chip production stopped and came back up after several weeks of limited or low production
6. In early 2022 a second earthquake hit the same plant. Again no or limited production for several weeks.

The question is why is Ford depending on a far east supplier for the chips that are required. There should be multiple plants in the US (primary), Canada, or Mexico that make the chips. At the same time, the move to electric cars has to be increasing the demand for chips.

Now with a war going on in Europe, additional shutdowns in China, and the normal occurrence of disasters this problem can only continue to get worse.

Ford, PLEASE COMMUNICATE with your loyal customers.
I agree with everything you said. Although when my GM talked to the person who oversees all the plants in the US, they are not on chip hold. There are over 7000 expeditions waiting on wiper motors, that someone else posted are made right there in Kentucky. I think Ford is using the “chip hold” as a cover all, when in reality, once you vehicles starts to be built, they have all chips for to. Per a guy who works the line at KTP, no expeditions have come off the line missing chips, they have all been wiper motors. Unless the parts for the wiper motors are coming from overseas (which is possible of course) then the “chip shortage” has not effected these expeditions once they start getting built. The chip shortage may delay them actually starting your vehicle. Once again, why are we not producing the parts for the wiper motors here in the good ole USA, if we are not already?

park city guy

Reaction score
Your dealer has an order number. Once you get a VIN number then you can get updates from the Ford Vehicle Tracking sytstem. The problem with that is they only update it once a week (if then) on Tuesdays. There are so many cars on chip hold that are parked offsite the info they give you is totally useless.

Wes1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I have posted in other threads....I placed my order 10/25, build date was moved a few times, went into production 3/17 and was put on a "chip hold" per the dealership on 3/18. Delivery date was then moved a number of times and as of today no ETA. So I am over 6 months waiting since original order was placed.

PhrogPilot

Reaction score
Same, or worse, issues with GMC. I'm getting rid of my 2019 Expedition (most problem prone vehicle I have ever owned) and began the order process for a 2022 Yukon in June 2021. It finally started the production process in Fef/Mar 2022. Was completed around the end of March then sent to the holding lot in Midlothean Texas on April 1st where it still languishes awaiting shipment. My speculation is that it awaits a chip or two that will not be installed until the GM plant in Arlington shuts down to retool for the 2023s. May soon cancel that order and re-order a 2023 as the thought of a new diesel vehicle sitting in a field for months with rodents climbing through it is not appealing. It's getting to where all the manufacturers suck.

HtownHog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same, or worse, issues with GMC. I'm getting rid of my 2019 Expedition (most problem prone vehicle I have ever owned) and began the order process for a 2022 Yukon in June 2021. It finally started the production process in Fef/Mar 2022. Was completed around the end of March then sent to the holding lot in Midlothean Texas on April 1st where it still languishes awaiting shipment. My speculation is that it awaits a chip or two that will not be installed until the GM plant in Arlington shuts down to retool for the 2023s. May soon cancel that order and re-order a 2023 as the thought of a new diesel vehicle sitting in a field for months with rodents climbing through it is not appealing. It's getting to where all the manufacturers suck.
I've really dug in and tried to understand each manufacturer's allocation process. GM lumps their dealer allocation for stock and retail orders into one bucket overall and chops up the allocations even smaller for specific trims/engines/options which is probably why you had to wait so long for production to start. Local sales order manager in Houston and I have had numerous conversations on how to spec out a diesel Denali to prevent it from getting held up. He showed me Saturday the US allocation for next week was 658 total Yukon XL's planned to build, 150 of those were allocated as diesels. He was given 2 allocations but certain options and packages were on different levels of constraint. He could get me everything we wanted except adaptive cruise control as there was constraint on that option, also said they haven't built a Reserve or Ultimate trim in over a year.

Ford has dealer stock allocation but considers additional allocation for confirmed retail orders. Their priority level process *should* limit dealer stock builds ahead of retail orders but that clearly hasn't been the case lately.

momof3girls

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Ford and I am not to happy. Ordered 11/17-in production 3/23 on chip hold since 4/1 with an eta of 5/9. now the chip hold eta is 8/14, I am about to just say the hell with it and find something else. People that ordered after me are getting theirs while mine sits in a parking lot. Do better Ford do better!

brettmag

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Ford and I am not to happy. Ordered 11/17-in production 3/23 on chip hold since 4/1 with an eta of 5/9. now the chip hold eta is 8/14, I am about to just say the hell with it and find something else. People that ordered after me are getting theirs while mine sits in a parking lot. Do better Ford do better!
I just called Ford too and have the same timeline of Aug 4-10... might also find another option.

momof3girls

Reaction score
I just called Ford too and have the same timeline of Aug 4-10... might also find another option.
I also text my salesman and told him to let me know if one happens to come in. Might as well order a 23 at this rate. who wants a 22 in the middle of 22?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkxr4