22” issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just bought a used 2018 Ford Expedition limited with the hd towing package. I’m in need of new tires and was wondering if stock 22” rims would suffice with towing a 7500 lb travel trailer? Or should I downsize to 20” wheels? Regardless im getting the nitto terra grapplers g2 10 ply load rating E. If someone could chime in with experience I’d appreciate it. Thanks

Tuck

Reaction score
As long as the tires have the appropriate load rating for the weight you'll be putting on the truck then wheel size won't matter. The 20" gives you an extra inch of sidewall so the ride would be a little smoother. Other than that, no difference on towing capacity.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
As long as the tires have the appropriate load rating for the weight you'll be putting on the truck then wheel size won't matter. The 20" gives you an extra inch of sidewall so the ride would be a little smoother. Other than that, no difference on towing capacity.
Thanks for the reply. I may just stick with the 22” wheels. It will be all highway towing so hopefully the ride isn’t too bad. Thanks for the info

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I may just stick with the 22” wheels. It will be all highway towing so hopefully the ride isn’t too bad. Thanks for the info

If it makes you feel any better, I put 'E' tires on my 20-inch wheels and I inflate to 65 psi when towing. So yes, the ride is stiff, but it's by design. The rear of the vehicle jiggles less with this configuration. None of my passengers has complained.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I put 'E' tires on my 20-inch wheels and I inflate to 65 psi when towing. So yes, the ride is stiff, but it's by design. The rear of the vehicle jiggles less with this configuration. None of my passengers has complained
You think it will be a rough ride with 22” wheels?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You think it will be a rough ride with 22” wheels?

The vehicles with 22" have the adaptive dampening, so I don't think the ride quality will be too bad. But really, I think ride quality is secondary while towing. You want a stable platform to pull the trailer, even if the ride does suffer somewhat. Most highways are relatively smooth, so you'll likely be fine.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The vehicles with 22" have the adaptive dampening, so I don't think the ride quality will be too bad. But really, I think ride quality is secondary while towing. You want a stable platform to pull the trailer, even if the ride does suffer somewhat. Most highways are relatively smooth, so you'll likely be fine.
I second this. When properly loaded and distributed, ride is same as unloaded or close enough.