220v alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run a food truck business so I tow around a trailer which is like a kitchen on wheels. On the trailer I have a 10,000 watt 110/220v gas generator that powers up all the equipment (3 refrigerators, freezer, toaster, water heater, lights, computer, etc.). The generator is brand new but at times it flake out so there is no power when that quits.

So I thought... what if I change my Expy's alternator to give me the electrical power that I need and my trailer just plug into that? At first it sounds absurd since we are all used to getting only 12v out of our vehicles. But think about it: my gas generator (or any generator for that matters) that puts out 10,000 watts only has a little 16 hp gas motor running it. The Expy has a 5.4 litre V-8, that's HUGE compared to the little 16 hp engine.

If this works that would be so cool. The V-8 may have to be reved higher (than idle) to give the power but it should not take that much. And it certainly is a hell lot more quiet than that generator.

Has anyone here done this / thought about this? Is this a possibility? I tested my requirements and I need about 8 kWh of power.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• truck+trailer.jpg
    truck+trailer.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 134

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive never done it.... But if ur gonna do it, u maybe able to have a local electrical shop rebuild urs to a higher amp( or run 2 alts)... Im having it done with mine and its only costing about 100 bux.... The only reason im doing it is becuz im running somany aftermarket lights, screens and speakers... Not to sure but u may have to run a series of batterys or powercells to hold the juice its producing and then a few ac converters(not sure if they sell one for 10000w or not).... I would try to contact ridnclean on here... He does competition audio and really knows his stuff about it.... He runs 2 alts and series batteries.... So i would try gettin ahold of him and see what he thinks.... I would think if this works, it would be alot more inexpensive than the cost of the generator( not sure what u paid for it....lol).... Just my .02.....

OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your comment. Good point about taking the D/C to A/C. I will look into that.....

OP
OP
G

gakman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
another thing I am considering (electrifying the trailer) is using hybrid-electric technology, like they do in city buses. That would mean a bunch of batteries with a generator to charge them as needed. But that would be cool (and green).

Of course there is also the hydrogen fuel-cells idea.... I won't mind my trailer peeing water LOL

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
would be a nice project to work on!!

Don't forget you're expy needs 12VDC to work:) otherwise you have everything setup and the car won't start:eek: LOL
'
If you're gonna work with more batteries don't forget to use isolators for charging only the batteries who need the voltage, so the alternator doesn't have to work under a 100% load constantly.

keep us informed and good luck

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I've actually looked in to this for a boat, to use as a poor man's gen-set.

There are generator "heads" that can be run off of a 25 hp or higher motor.

We were going to mount the generator next to the front of the motor and spin it with a serp belt. The idea was to use an air conditioning compressor clutch on the generator so that it wouldn't spin until you wanted to use it.
You would need a way to set the idle on the truck to that specific rpm (easy to do on a boat)

If you are handy enough to fab up the required brackets and pullys, it really isn't that bad of a job. Biggest issue on the truck (vs a boat) is finding the room for the generator.

I believe that harbor freight tools has that generator.

RidnClean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
like stated above, you'd definitely need a 2nd alt that can run by itself, if that gets into trucks computer system...lights out...

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
looks good, you have to to set the engine at the RPM that way that the generator gives you the load you wanna have.
Like 2500 RPM to give for instance 8KW.

Only the next thing I'm thinking of, you're expy will have a lot of hours instead of miles on the engine.
It will have more running hours on the right rpm for the generator than drivin it.

The magnetic clutch is a good idea.