28 gallon gas tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blaisin

Reaction score
My new to me 05 limited window sticker says it has a 28 gal tank. When I fill up the CPU estimates that I should get 439 miles for the tank. Which would be correct if I have 28 gallons. However I get about 315-330 before I fill and only ever put up to 22.5 gal in but the CPU and the fuel gauge read E and less then 20 miles left. How do I find out if I actually do have a 28 gal tank without just going till I run out? My fusion has the same CPU setup and is accurate. Are these historically wrong?

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe the previous owner (drug dealer) stashed a huge wad of cash in the tank. Grab a torch and cut it open to find out.

Victor

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually have the fuel pump empty the tank for me into 5 gallon gas cans. Then refill when I'm done. You could test the sending unit but that is probably a pain.

Don't cut into the tank with a torch as stated. Gas fumes + flame = big bang.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My truck has a 30 gallon tank and I have never put more than 27 gallons in it and the needle was below E for a couple of days. I know in a lot of cars that have the estimated range they purposely cut it short to minimize the risk of running dry. It would not surprise me if that was the case with these as well.

Another thing that could cause a problem is the truck may not be as fuel efficient as it was off the factory line. I do not know if the computer learns your avg. fuel mileage after each tank, but if the truck is thinking you are getting 15 mpg's at the beginning of a new tank but you are only getting around 10-11 (pretty common in these trucks if you do not drive highway miles a lot) it would cause the estimation to be off.

If the sticker says you have a 28 gallon tank, there is very little chance that it is going to be wrong unless it was replaced in the past for some reason.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It states in the manual that you have to drive about 500 miles before the distance to empty and the fuel gauge will be sorta close. I have been about 350-380 miles before I find a gas station. I think that when I filled up it only took like 18-20 gallons so there is a few gallons left when you get almost on emty

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds normal. The problem is if it gets too low, you risk sucking up junk on the bottom of the tank that could cause fuel pump issues. Plus like I said to make it much less likely you run out. That can also destroy a fuel pump.

Davids03Expy

Reaction score
On my 2003 expedition I have filled up to 27 gallons. The CPU isn't Always accurate because in the manual it says the MPG and MILES TO EMPTY are an estimate. It seems that the only way to find out for sure is to run in till its empty but that is up to you. Hopefully the previous owner didn't stuff anything in there or modified the fuel pump

buildingdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03 doesnt have the miles to empty display, but I get about 330. I found its with the gas pump... if you force it in slowly, or let the pressure settle in the tank... then start filling it again.. I can actually get a full 27.5 gallons in it. When I do this trick, I can clear 400 miles easily. These new smart pumps make you think its full, but there is always room for more.

Davids03Expy

Reaction score
My 03 doesnt have the miles to empty display, but I get about 330. I found its with the gas pump... if you force it in slowly, or let the pressure settle in the tank... then start filling it again.. I can actually get a full 27.5 gallons in it. When I do this trick, I can clear 400 miles easily. These new smart pumps make you think its full, but there is always room for more.

this makes perfect sense because I have had that issue when I pumped gas at an arco station