3.5L EcoBoost Engine Lube

What type engine oil do you use?

• Petroleum

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Synthetic

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1, change it as I approach 5k miles usually at about 4500 miles. 2018 XLT, no cold start up issues..... yet, less than 19000 miles and will do my fourth oil change this week. I don’t think the type of oil is the problem, it’s the gunked up passage ways, stopping or delaying lubrication into the phasers and top end that are the problem. Frequent oil changes between 4-5k mile a must to keep the oil clean and fresh.

Plati

Reaction score
All engine oil is petroleum based ... correct? Synthetic oil is just more highly processed to remove undesired contaminants and add desired additives. Molecules are engineered to be longer chains and work better in numerous ways in an engine. How could you go wrong with synthetic oil? I've been told any decent oil is basically what would be called "synthetic" now.

Oscar1

Reaction score
A while back took my F150 for oil service . Next morning I checked the oil level . Found it way over filled . They didn't drain old oil & just put more in . They didn't know what to say except SORRY

scotthere

Reaction score
I've been using mobil 1 since 2004. Pricy but 160,000 miles without issues. I've read about some strategies that swap filter more frequently 3,000 miles and 1 qt. top up then change oil every third filter 9,000 miles. Oil does not really wear out, it becomes contaminated with combustion byproducts and gets carbonized from over heating. An oil cooler can help the latter greatly. That is why I'm shopping for used expy with HD towing for extra cooling. Tranny fluid same concept minus combustion. Some manufactures are starting to install externally accessible tyranny filters. Allison's I think.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

MAC1

Reaction score
I have been using full synthetic on all of my vehicles for the past 20 years; I change the oil and filter every 7K miles, so my annual cost is the same.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been using mobil 1 since 2004. Pricy but 160,000 miles without issues. I've read about some strategies that swap filter more frequently 3,000 miles and 1 qt. top up then change oil every third filter 9,000 miles. Oil does not really wear out, it becomes contaminated with combustion byproducts and gets carbonized from over heating. An oil cooler can help the latter greatly. That is why I'm shopping for used expy with HD towing for extra cooling. Tranny fluid same concept minus combustion. Some manufactures are starting to install externally accessible tyranny filters. Allison's I think.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve used the filter change routine on other cars with success. Oil can generally go much longer than people let it mile wise. Depends a lot on if you get it up to temp most every trip with the car. You can get some breakdown after time though, so I change filter early, top, and do full change at one year. My diesel I literally didn’t do a full change for years with full syn. I even quit doing the oil sample testing.

I’m hesitant to do that with the expy due to the beating the turbo can put on the oil. Also not going to risk the extended warranty with ford over a few extra changes.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mobil 1 5w/30 with Mobil 1 filter

8200 miles on oil change yesterday.

oil to be sent to Blackstone and will be my third or fourth UOA.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mobil 1 5w/30 with Mobil 1 filter

8200 miles on oil change yesterday.

oil to be sent to Blackstone and will be my third or fourth UOA.

Post your results and if you run a catch can or not. Have you found fuel in your oil? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every 3,000 miles with MotorCraft Synth blend and filter. Turbos are hard on oil, you should see how dark and smells of fuel the oil is at 3K....

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford requirement is xo-5w20-qsp is syn blend. Not sure what petroleum is, oil wise. I personally believe this engine should use full synthetic and get changed every 3,500mi. The oil breakdown from turbo heat and fuel dilution, is probably why there is so many problems. Going between 5000-7500mi on bad oil, would explain it. Using improper/cheap oil filters is another reason. Ford doesn't want to anger/lose potential owners, who will balk at spending $65 for a dealer synthetic oil change every 3,500mi. People spend $70K on the new vehicle, but cheap out on a $19.99 oil change.