3rd shock blown out on 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah, that would do it. The way I read it quick struts didn’t have a cartridge insert so thought it would be covered. But I only know slightly more than I did yesterday about suspensions, which was nothing.

The entire strut is covered if it's a Ford extended warranty. If it's a third party warranty, wtf knows.

My 2019 has 20,000 miles on it. Dealer checked and 3 shocks are leaking. They are replacing 3 under warranty and I asked just assuming they would do all 4. Dealer said we can only replace the impacted ones under warranty. Do you think there will be issues with this going forward? Seems like a shock with 20,000 miles on it and 3 brand new ones isn't the best setup.

Ideally, they should be replaced in pairs. However, if you have the dealer do that other one you will pay out the nose vs having it done at an independent shop. I would just leave it alone if it were me. Chances are it's going to fail along with one or more of the new ones. I had one rear blow out at 80k and then another at 90k. By 110k, the first replacement was leaking like a sieve and the second replacement had a minor leak. At that point, the extended warranty was up and I opted to replace both with Bilstein 4600 series. No issues since.

daytonajrw

Reaction score
The entire strut is covered if it's a Ford extended warranty. If it's a third party warranty, wtf knows.

Ideally, they should be replaced in pairs. However, if you have the dealer do that other one you will pay out the nose vs having it done at an independent shop. I would just leave it alone if it were me. Chances are it's going to fail along with one or more of the new ones. I had one rear blow out at 80k and then another at 90k. By 110k, the first replacement was leaking like a sieve and the second replacement had a minor leak. At that point, the extended warranty was up and I opted to replace both with Bilstein 4600 series. No issues since.
how are you getting it covered? I have the Ford Used PremiumCare and they are claiming it's a shock and not covered. it would only be covered under the premium maintenance plan.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
PremiumCare covers struts but not shocks. According to the Ford parts site, our fronts are struts and rears are shocks (even though the rears are coil-overs and look very similar to the fronts). After having 6 leaking factory shocks by 40k miles, I decided to switch to Bilsteins.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how are you getting it covered? I have the Ford Used PremiumCare and they are claiming it's a shock and not covered. it would only be covered under the premium maintenance plan.

I had my truck in to my local trans shop for routine maintenance and he noticed a leak in the rear. I took it to the dealer and he told me it wasn't covered as their system said there were shocks in the rear. I got the trans shop on the phone and he said: "It's a strut. Put the Ford tech on the phone and I will explain to him why it's a strut." I relayed this message to the tech who said he would put it on the lift and get back to me. He called me an hour later and said: "It's a strut. It's covered under warranty."

Reaction score
I know this is a old thread but been searching the forum and cant find a exact match (I most likely have missed it)! We jsut purchased a 2019 Expedition MAX XLT FX4 with MAx tow Package (I believe it has the Max tow package as it has the trailer break control inside and the trailer back up dial). Took it for a longer road trip and noticed on the highway the vehicle wanders in the lane and the steering feels lie there is play in it. (50,000 miles and wifes car so i dont get to drive it much)

I took it to the dealership for a Oil change and tire rotation and asked them to look at it. They just called saying it isnt the alignment but all 4 of your shocks are bad and that is what is causing the wandering and loose feel which is more noticeable on the highway. They want $2,300 to replace all 4 shocks which i dont believe is ahppening, Also said my rear brakes are low. So looks like my good friend (a retired pilot who is a pretty good shade tree mechanic) and I might tackle the shock change and new rear brakes. a couple Questions

1) does the wandering in the lanes and "loose steering" at highway speeds sound like a shock issue. Ill be honest i dont know that i would say i feel a bottoming out as we go over large bumps as i typically am in tune with how the car is reacting but i could be wrong. I havent seen any oil in the driveway if the shocks have recent busted like many on the thread.

2) I have read here that a lot of people are putting on the Blisten 5100's. I might go that route but would like yalls "professional" opinion (yall have a lot more knowledge than me and experience on this matter and these vehicles so yall are professionals to me=) ) This vehicle is 95% of the time a Soccer Mom vehicle transporting our 5 kids around but we do pull a 2006 23' Malibu boat that weighs probaly 6500lbs multiple trips a year. We do not go off roading in it. Looking for the best shock with a good quality ride no off road performance need. also not necessarily looking to level it either but neve a bad thing.

Sorry for the long post but trying to get yall as much information as possible. Thanks for the help.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know this is a old thread but been searching the forum and cant find a exact match (I most likely have missed it)! We jsut purchased a 2019 Expedition MAX XLT FX4 with MAx tow Package (I believe it has the Max tow package as it has the trailer break control inside and the trailer back up dial). Took it for a longer road trip and noticed on the highway the vehicle wanders in the lane and the steering feels lie there is play in it. (50,000 miles and wifes car so i dont get to drive it much)

I took it to the dealership for a Oil change and tire rotation and asked them to look at it. They just called saying it isnt the alignment but all 4 of your shocks are bad and that is what is causing the wandering and loose feel which is more noticeable on the highway. They want $2,300 to replace all 4 shocks which i dont believe is ahppening, Also said my rear brakes are low. So looks like my good friend (a retired pilot who is a pretty good shade tree mechanic) and I might tackle the shock change and new rear brakes. a couple Questions

1) does the wandering in the lanes and "loose steering" at highway speeds sound like a shock issue. Ill be honest i dont know that i would say i feel a bottoming out as we go over large bumps as i typically am in tune with how the car is reacting but i could be wrong. I havent seen any oil in the driveway if the shocks have recent busted like many on the thread.

2) I have read here that a lot of people are putting on the Blisten 5100's. I might go that route but would like yalls "professional" opinion (yall have a lot more knowledge than me and experience on this matter and these vehicles so yall are professionals to me=) ) This vehicle is 95% of the time a Soccer Mom vehicle transporting our 5 kids around but we do pull a 2006 23' Malibu boat that weighs probaly 6500lbs multiple trips a year. We do not go off roading in it. Looking for the best shock with a good quality ride no off road performance need. also not necessarily looking to level it either but neve a bad thing.

Sorry for the long post but trying to get yall as much information as possible. Thanks for the help.

Seems unlikely that all 4 shocks would be gone, but that price is ridiculous either way. You could have a shop for Bilsteins all around for less than half that.

I have the Bilstein 4600s. Slightly stiffer than stock, but that's a plus for me. Better handling and a little less cushion vs stock. I tow occasionally - anywhere from 1,500-7,500 lbs with most runs falling around 3,000 lbs. I've been running them for 90k+ miles and they're still going strong.

Reaction score
Ya the price was so high I am almost wondering if i heard him wrong over the phone but I swear i repeated the price and he said yes but ill confirm when I go pick it up. Bilstiens seem like the go to shock. Ill try to google the diffreences in the 4600 and 5100 and other options.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the 5100's on mine and love them. They have a little stiffer feel than the stock but not a massive difference but I do feel they handle towing better. When I removed my shocks 3 of the 4 were leaking but only one was leaking heavily.

I need to do the rear brakes on mine too, just picked up pads the other day and need to make the time to do it now. Shocks/struts weren't too bad to do, I got all 4 done in about half a day by myself. I picked "stock" height on the struts and when I had the alignment checked it was perfect so nothing was needed that way. I suspect if you add lift it will need some alignment.

Reaction score
ya I'm trying to find 4600's but it Im not finding them the fit 2019's. MAybe the only option is the 5100's for the 2019's. I think i will at least take it to another shop to confirm if they believe the shocks are bad. Of course this all happens a week and a half before we are supposed to drive from Houston to Utah on a ski trip.