4.6 2V oil pump wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
My plan now(unless someone tells me it won't work)is to try to drop the pan to get at the pump flange screws & hopefully correct the seal problem. I have two concerns....a couple of the pan screws are directly above the front crossmember(2WD), not sure I can get to them much less break them lose; Also, once the pan is free I'm wondering if it has enough room between the pickup tube & front crossmember to slide out. I guess technically it doesn't need to come all the way out, just enough to reach those flange screws.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can drop the cross member to gain more space. All your old guides were intact right ? Nothing that would clog the oil tube intake right ? Might you have damaged the O-ring on the tube/pump mating area ? At least dropping the pan you'll be able to inspect all that. The oil pump mated to the block without too much trouble right ? Just the tube was really difficult to re-install right?

Dropping oil pan on Gen 1 Expedition

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
Yes, all the old guides were in tact. The new oil pump seemed to mount up to the block just fine. Alignment of the tube flange & pump flange was the issue. Oring damage or the flanges not fully meeting is my guess.

Unfortunately, this truck is 2WD, so removing the crossmember isn't an option. I'm just wondering if I can still move the pan enough to access the flange screws. If not, guess I'll be removing motor mount bolts & lifting the engine a bit. I bet that's fun. :-l

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
Haven't had time to get back to my oil pressure issue until today. I did pick up a long-reach 1/4" ratchet which allowed me to get the last oil pan screw out. BTW, I kind of expected the pan to be stuck to the block, but it just dropped free. It wouldn't clear the crossmember of course, but the front edge dropped enough to let me get a wrench on the tube flange screws. Both screws were lose.

When I installed them earlier this week(while the pan was installed)I swear they were tight. I was afraid any tighter they would strip out. All I can think is the tube must have been binding against the pan.

Ran out of daylight, but got the pan back on. I'll report back tomorrow if this solves the problem...or not.

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
Still no oil pressure. Guess I'm pulling the front cover after all. I would have bet tightening up those flange bolts would solve it.

Ulver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you're going through quite a battle with that. Taking the cover off sucks because you have to take all of those bolts out, the pulleys and then clean all of the gasket globs from the head joints.

I'm going through one myself while putting this engine together. I found out yesterday that my cylinder for spark plug threads are damaged in some way and that I have to buy one of those thread insert kits and fix it. Luckily I still have the intake off so it'll be easier with the additional room I have.

Brons2

Reaction score
Wobble extensions made removing my transmission pan a lot easier, pretty cheap at Harbor Freight.

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
Wobble extensions made removing my transmission pan a lot easier, pretty cheap at Harbor Freight.......

Yes, I've made extensive use of those myself.

OP
OP
lonestarjeff

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
I pulled off the front cover again this week. :-(

All 4 oil pump mounting screws were indeed lose, but especially the 2 that pull it up to the block flange. So the pump was pumping all right, but mostly right back into the pan. Apparently, when I slipped the new pump onto the crankshaft it was hanging up on something. Mind you, I did this at least 3 times before closing up, but when I tried to tighten down the screws it never felt quite right(looking with hindsight). This would also explain why I couldn't quite get the tube flange lined up.

Got things back together & closed up last night. Oil pressure came up soon as I started her up. After doing a little dance I looked under the truck to find a growing puddle of oil on the left side, so I'll be looking this afternoon for what I missed putting things together last night.

You'd think I'd never done this before with all the issues I'm having wrapping this up.