4 pin to 7 where is the 12V line?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, here's more information about my story than you care to know, but it will give context to how I got to the point that I may be able to help. I have a 2010 ford expedition el xlt. It came with the 4 flat and hitch. I searched for quite some time to find out what the difference was between my version and the heavy duty tow package. I called numerous dealers who supposedly looked up my VIN and all that, but couldn't answer my question. Finally I learned that the only difference was a 7 pin, heavy duty radiator, and heavy duty transmission cooler. Adding these things would up my tow capacity by almost 3k pounds. My axle ratio was the same, just those three differences. I found the blue electric brake wire for a 7 pin capped just behind my 4 pin connector. Unfortunately on my vehicle it wasn't just plug and play because I couldn't find a 12v lead (which brings me to this post--and hopefully some help). I searched all over the web trying to figure out where it could be. I read that people just run one from the battery, but wanted to make this as clean and factory as possible. I stumbled across some posts and after some poking around with the information I had, I found that there is a 12v wire that goes into a wiring harness under the hood near the back driver side part of the engine compartment, but it doesn't come out the other side of the wiring harness...so basically it was run into a wiring harness, but not run out of it on the other end. I went down to the dealer, got the proper size pin and brought the wire out the other end, ran it in under the vehicle and wired it into a 7 pin. Maybe your year is stopped at a different spot, but that is where I found mine. If you decide you want to see a picture of the harness I'm talking about, let me know and I can take one and figure out a way to get it to you.

Any chance I can get in saving someone the headache I went through to figure something out, I'm happy to help.
I would be careful about towing over the capacity for what the truck is rated for from the factory on the door jamb. Not sure if an insurance company would cover an accident if you told them you could haul more just by upgrading a few parts on the vehicle even though you are correct in the differences. Just my two cents.

cmc3

Reaction score
I found the two missing wires were never installed in the harness. In my 2017 XLT they actually were were under the hood on drivers side.