$4k for a new sunroof?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
So last week I opened the sun roof shade and heard a pop. The right side of the sunroof glass looks to have come off track and sits low. It also will not move backwards. The shade also does not move forward anymore.

I have no idea how opening the shade would have affected the glass part but it did.

Dealer says the entire track system needs to be replaced (apparently it's all one big piece.)

They quoted me almkst $4k for full replacement. Has anyone had to do this before? Is this cost crazy? I did see that the part is about $1,200 by itself (Ford part number fl3z-16502c22-e)

20200703_114736.jpg

20200703_114732.jpg

OP
OP
M

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
To clarify, it's $4k without new motors and about $4.8k with motors. I can't imagine why I would need new motors as they seemed to work fine. Has ain't needed to replace those?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the part is $1,200 - then the labor charge is $2,800? That is about 25 hours of labor, at the dealer rate.

Were you given an itemized estimate?

OP
OP
M

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
If the part is $1,200 - then the labor charge is $2,800? That is about 25 hours of labor, at the dealer rate.

Were you given an itemized estimate?

It's $1,900 in labor. Then the dealership is upcharging the main part to $1,500 (it's $1,100 online + shipping). Remainder is about a $60 part and then taxes.

Plati

Reaction score
OK ... I guess this is humor, but I would consider it.
Fix it once and these things break maybe a second time?
https://www.flexsealproducts.com/product/flex-paste/

actually, that concept might be a good product?
maybe WeatherTech could sell a custom molded thin sheet that seals the whole thing off?
I could do it with Gorilla Tape & some other crap

Last edited:

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you go the warranty route? When I first had my 2018 the heat shield under the engine came off, front end first and stayed bolted to the rear of the engine bay. The local dealer was going to deny, we had a 15 min discussion in the service bay about what a defect is. He said if I promised to bring the car there for service from then on he would ask Ford to cover. Mind you, I bought somewhere else b/c of this poor c/s experience on the initial sales side. In the end he said he was able to take a gamble that Ford would cover the work. Ford covered the work.

OP
OP
M

Matt Garrett

Reaction score
Mine is a 2018 with 51k miles so dont think it would be covered.

Did you go the warranty route? When I first had my 2018 the heat shield under the engine came off, front end first and stayed bolted to the rear of the engine bay. The local dealer was going to deny, we had a 15 min discussion in the service bay about what a defect is. He said if I promised to bring the car there for service from then on he would ask Ford to cover. Mind you, I bought somewhere else b/c of this poor c/s experience on the initial sales side. In the end he said he was able to take a gamble that Ford would cover the work. Ford covered the work.

FormerGermanFan

Reaction score
I would ask Ford if they will consider covering all or part of the repair cost as a goodwill gesture.

A repair like this should *NOT* be required so soon. Mine did the exact same thing at 11K miles and spent a week at the dealer being repaired under warranty. Hearing the true cost of this work is terrifying.

I will say, after talking with the shop foreman he said the sunroof in our Expy's and the F series is one of their worst problem areas. If you're planning on keeping your Expedition @Matt Garrett I would consider a Ford ESP.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another reason I hate sunroofs. Hope mine doesn’t find a way to break like that without being opened because it has only been used the once as a test.