4th Gen windshield replacement? Almost made me lose my mind.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
5280tunage

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks all. I did call my dealership and they quoted me $610 for the windshield and $225 for install. Was trying to work through USAA but they have an exclusive contract with Safelite so that was not fun. They will reimburse me if I just have the delayed do it but that's anything above my $500 deductible. I tried to explain to an agent at USAA that I thought it was doing to pay Safelite $1200 if the dealer only wanted $850. Hell, trying to save them money, didn't really sink in.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks all. I did call my dealership and they quoted me $610 for the windshield and $225 for install. Was trying to work through USAA but they have an exclusive contract with Safelite so that was not fun. They will reimburse me if I just have the delayed do it but that's anything above my $500 deductible. I tried to explain to an agent at USAA that I thought it was doing to pay Safelite $1200 if the dealer only wanted $850. Hell, trying to save them money, didn't really sink in.

I recently had the original windshield in my 2015 Expedtion Limited replaced, after a rock strike broke it.

My insurance company suggested a local Safelite shop, so I took it there (not at my home or mobile service).

Saffelite did a miserable job. They used an aftermarket windshield, damaged the left air inlet grille, and applied excessive black sealer which oozed out onto the windshield from behind behind the right A-pillar trim.

Safelite - Never again.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some states require a zero deductible for windshield replacement, as it’s perceived as a serious safety issue. It does seem like windshields are a lot more expensive, these days.

as far as Safelite goes, I have had a $1400 Windshield replaced by them, a complex install, and rhey did an excellent job. I think it’s down to the individual doing the install.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Should I say the windshield in my 2000 cost $150 installed? Safelite wanted $450. Maybe we've taken this technology thing too far?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would call to inquire whether a comprehensive claim would increase your rates, as they generally do. If they ask if you would like to file a claim, just say no, I was just curious.

Rossue

Reaction score
Bought a 2021 Transit 250 with HR and caught a pebble near outside edge and watched it grow. Called my trusted installer and LSS had to wait 3 weeks for OEM Carlex. This is a huge windshield and yes Safelite quited $300 for calibration plus $34 to take old windshield. I did have to pay out of pocket and wait for AAA to reimburse less $250 deductible. My installer was right though- as long as he didnt disconnect power it wouldn't need calibration. This van has a system that uses the rear brakes in severe wind conditions so it is important that the camera behind windshield is working. Cost was $559. Safebite wanted over $900. Why should I care? Because I had a car ruined by a bad install where the metal was cut into and not properly primed. Rust started a couple years later and couldn't be stopped.

You can call reputable body shops for referrals for competent independent installers. The Safelite model where you cannot talk to someone is ridiculous for one thing and the old saying about hard to find good help? Owner- operator shines for me. And no, the rates don't go up for auto glass claims.

Less than a week later the Transit got hit again and another windshield goes in next week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett