4x4 emblem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
I'm curious, why doesn't Ford apply the 4x4 emblem on vehicles anymore? My '16 Explorer Limited 4x4 didn't have one, neither does my '18 Expedition Limited 4x4. Most other manufacturers have either 4x4, 4wd, or AWD emblems. Looking online, I can't even find a Ford-specific 4x4 emblem, they're all generic. Anyone know why?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I see why this wasn't on my Explorer, it wasn't an EcoBoost engine. I'm pondering this emblem, but it's not for Expedition, it's for Explorer and Escape. I'd really like one specific to Expedition. Why did Ford stop applying them?

I’m not sure why Ford doesn’t use a 4x4 emblem for the Expedition models with 4x4 (perhaps to save a few pennies on each model)?

I bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, and the Ecoboost emblem on the rear hatch began to de laminate after the base warranty expired. Instead of buying the exact replacement, I purchased the emblem shown (new) and installed it after removing the defective emblem.

The Expediton was the first Ford I have purchased in about 45 years of driving. There were several things about it that did not make much sense and that I didn’t like.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody I know of uses 4WD emblems. It looks pretty cheap if it’s not on a pickup bed. Have you ever seen a Tahoe, Suburban, Sequoia, or Expedition with one? I sure haven’t unless it was some aftermarket sticker. Not really a Ford thing.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I see why this wasn't on my Explorer, it wasn't an EcoBoost engine.

Weird, Ford made three different FlexFuel emblems for non-EcoBoost variants. 1) Plain ole FlexFuel for the front tire burners, 2) FlexFuel AWD and 3) FlexFuel 4WD

FlexFuel 4WD part number DB5Z-9942528-B
FlexFuel AWD part number DB5Z-9942528-C

The topic has been beat to death, brought back to life, then beat to death again on Explorer forums, but there is/was? an All Wheel Drive version.... and there is/was a user controlled 4X4 version, kind of like 1st gen Expeditions. The mass confusion between AWD and 4WD could very well be the reason Ford said enough already and used the plain FlexFuel. Complete speculation.

Just like GM/Chev use Z71 on their off-road 4WD, and like Toyota uses SR5 on their off-road version of Sequoia, Ford also slaps unique FX4 emblems on those Expeditions. Interestingly Nissan has refrained themselves from badging PRO4X on their Armada.

OP
OP
D

DenSanAZ

Reaction score
My 16 Explorer was Flexfuel and 4wd (4wd, not AWD, I had the option for 2wd or 4wd just like my Expy) and it just had the Flexfuel emblem, not 4wd. I've never understood the Flexfuel option - in AZ there is no gas before 87 octane. I suppose it's available elsewhere.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suppose it's available elsewhere.

This is the case. Arizona shows about 12 stations around Phoenix, Tuscon maybe 3.
Minneapolis? About every other intersection.
Chicago? Roughly 9 for each bad pizza place in the city. (I've tried to try them all)

Check out the interactive map below. For people like me here in the midwest, we are puzzled by the confusion. But I completely understand when its new to someone else, the map pretty much explains why.

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_locations.html#/find/nearest?fuel=E85

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The 4x4 emblems are generally kept from higher-end vehicles, as they are more associated with work trucks and fool-hardy low-buck recreation. Might be demeaning to the polo crowd.