5.4 4x4 eb exhaust manifold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im new here been reading alot of threads and have learned alot. I have an 01 and installed the flowmaster force II a couple weeks ago and after installing i heard an exhaust leak. I did a little searching and found the usual exhaust manifolds leaking and 2 stubs broke. Ive seen that the shorty headers arnt worth doing but i figure i need to fix/replace them anyway so mind as well. I got the pace setter shortys and also figured while i was in there and all open mind as well do what i can so, Got bbk underdrive pulleys, motorcraft iridium plugs, stant low temp thermostat, and going to delete rear cats. I already have superchips max micro tuner from a 98 explorer 5.0 i had years ago and it just happend to work on the exp. also :). i get 14 city now with catback and tuner. after all is installed i will post pics and tell dificulty of install, along with mileage increase if any. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to share.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like you have a good list going... don't know if you have a cold air intake or thought about the "gotts" mod

OP
OP
B

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
already did the gotts before i even heard or read about it. I do ac and had some tubing around my shop did it a little different then most the ways on here but drop pretty much same concept with k&n drop in

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Brusky, be careful running the lower temp thermostat. while you gain the benefits of a cooler engine, keep in mind that the thermostat is telling the computer what the engine temp is and if it is too low, it will cause the motor to run rich, which can negatively impact the mileage. So, unless you are reprogramming and telling the computer that the lower temp thermostat is ok and not to run the engine rich, it can be more of a negative than a positive.

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Welcome to the group....Got the same problem with exhaust manifolds and bolts...I was told to remove the inner fender wells and attack the manifolds from there...also I was informed to take a die grinder or saws-all and cut the manifolds off..the will ease the pressure on the the bolts and give you more room to work...I decided to use the pacesetter long tube headers with the 3" off road Y-pipe & 3" to muffler...No cats at all...Flowmaster 70 series and 3" tail pipe...This will be my project for next month.

OP
OP
B

Brusky

Full Access Members
Reaction score
180 degree didn't want to go too low due to that problem but wanted to get a little help as I am installing underdrive pulleys and that will slow the water pump and fan down. And thanks for the info on headers a this will be my weekend project in a couple weeks. Would be this weekend but my little boy decided to come a few weeks early so gonna spend the time with them. Any other help is greatly appreciated

Kevo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BakerEdition, you definately need to d a write up on how the pacesetters go on i recently bought the same headers and Y and they are currently being ceramic coated and my exhaust guy is cooking up a design to use still deciding weather to go dual 2.5" or single 3" and i need to decide between Magnaflow Magnapacks or SLP LM1's

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
I will do a write complete with pictures..I think everything will fall in place once the factory manifolds and bolts are off and out... I'm looking forward to cutting them off...I will use stainless steel bolt replacements with lots of anti-seize...The dam thing runs so good right now and the fuel economy is great...I hate to touch it...but hate the exhaust noise.... I'm doing 3" single all the way..I think that will be just perfect...But I will let everyone know...I cant wait to get-r-done.....