5.4 vs 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found a 98 Expedition XLT, they are asking $2,000 for it. It has 162,000 miles. Going to check it out this weekend. Only drawback is it's a 4.6. Looks to be in great shape from what I could see in the pictures, no rust. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check underneath for any signs of rust especially the Radiator support cross member and the rocker panels

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2k is a bit steep in my opinion when I bought my 99 4.6 at the local auction for 750 with the same mileage, and only thing wrong was the driver side power window motor was trash ( 34 bucks amazon )

Rockers well its 18 years old, of course its probably gonna have typical rust, those are a easy replacement for under 20 bucks of course amazon/ebay

As far as engine's this is my 2nd expedition my first was a 2002 5.4 EB, I loved the power of the 5.4 but my 4.6 is now running about the same with a few minor mods, the HP is around 30 different stock 230/260 if I recall right, and for people saying the 4.6 is a bad motor? I believe the 4.6 has been around a lot longer and has proven its reliability.

OP
OP
F

fryguy

Reaction score
2k is a bit steep in my opinion when I bought my 99 4.6 at the local auction for 750 with the same mileage, and only thing wrong was the driver side power window motor was trash ( 34 bucks amazon )

Rockers well its 18 years old, of course its probably gonna have typical rust, those are a easy replacement for under 20 bucks of course amazon/ebay

As far as engine's this is my 2nd expedition my first was a 2002 5.4 EB, I loved the power of the 5.4 but my 4.6 is now running about the same with a few minor mods, the HP is around 30 different stock 230/260 if I recall right, and for people saying the 4.6 is a bad motor? I believe the 4.6 has been around a lot longer and has proven its reliability.

It had new tires and brakes. And had some other things done to it. Unfortunately someone beat me to it. So I won't be buying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to your local auction my 99 I purchased for 750 bucks total. Expy's aren't really that sought after, people complain they are gas hogs, I say bah, Try driving my 98 Dodge Ram 2500 8.1L V10. Than tell me a expy is a gas hog