5.4L Intake Manifold Amazon Product

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do it right or do it twice. That’s what I’ve found with intakes.

I bought a Dorman after my factory intake failed. The Dorman felt like a piece of junk- just felt cheap in my hands, didn’t use all the same hardware as factory, the embedded gaskets aren’t nearly as good as a set of Fel-Pro, and it didn’t have the insulation so the intake was louder- but hey, it didn’t cost that much.

Fast forward 42k miles and I was putting a Ford intake back in because the Dorman was leaking. And the Dorman wasn’t just leaking from those crappy embedded gaskets, it was leaking from around interfaces that I never touched during installation- the coolant crossover connection.

I’ve only got about 35k miles on my Ford intake, so I can’t say for sure, but I think it’s going to last longer than 42k. I’ll probably get closer to 175k like the original Ford intake.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see one in which the gasket failed early (which could be a part quality issue OR a poor cleaning/assembly job - but since he suggested, incorrectly, that the gaskets were permanently embedded I'm going to guess installation ). No other serious issues at all... a couple of guys who didn't like the screws that came with them. Whoop-de-do!

Also I find the Ford sourced units being twice the cost, not just $40 more.

Bummer about the small number of truly active members... it's surprising!
There has been at least three threads that were posted since I became a member about the intake manifold and how they had to replace it a second time with oem parts almost immediately. Try the search box at the top right of this page. (Type in "intake manifold") Do your homework or do it twice.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
instead of believing a few nay-saying sheep

Here's a better idea. Go to Pick-a-part and take one off some 250,000 mile road *****!

Bring your tools and a beer. Take the old gaskets too -- they're expensive. Soak 'em in oil to get some life back in 'em. Just like new again. Look for one without too many rust streaks around it. If you're lucky, it'll be a Chinese one someone put on right before the head gasket blew.

Don't fool with this new stuff. No end to the bucks you can save by not listening to us dinosaurs with money to burn!

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That enough proof Quadmaniac? Or would you like a few more punches in the gut? We've been here on the forum for anywhere from 4-6 years. We've done it, seen it, or heard about part failures, but hey if you've got more time than money, go for it, we won't! Dorman was once a quality part, but hey back in the 70's, I worked out 6 days a week and was a muscular 220 pounds. Times change.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Quadmaniac

Reaction score
...would you like a few more punches in the gut?

...We've been here on the forum for anywhere from 4-6 years

...Times change.

Funny, don't feel the least bit winded. I'll bet I was doing engine rebuilds while you were pumping your... iron?

I have many years spent in many different forums and am not the least bit impressed with the length of anyone's tenure - it is the VALUE of their posting that matters. And I do agree with Yupster - the OP should do his/her best to search here (and elsewhere) for any information on success or failure of aftermarket manifolds.

Times do change, but common sense shouldn't. I will continue to assert that it is better to hear empirical evidence from actual users than anecdotal fear mongering from somebody who heard from somebody who was told by somebody that thinks it's a bad thing - and until one of the latest posts, that was all that the OP was being given.

Duck and weave.

Last edited:

Nastinad

Reaction score
If you have the $$$$ go to Jegs and get the high performance aluminum replacement.

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Too much labor and downtime .. use quality parts to do the job once.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the $$$$ go to Jegs and get the high performance aluminum replacement.

Do they make one for the 5.4? Tons of 4.6 manifolds but then you have to run an adapter (more chances for potential leaks). I’ve not seen one for the 5.4.

Old Guy

Reaction score
I would like to put in my $ .02 worth. I am a retired R&D engineer in electronics. When we developed a unit, we spec'd out parts to be made for inclusion in that unit, based on performance. we chose keeping in mind to the unit coming back under warranty because we eat the cost. Yes, sometimes price enters into it, but the majority of my projects were for Gov't/military who want the M W (must work) option. We have received parts from offshore manufacturers who want us to use their products. In all fairness, some of them are OK, but we have our reputation with the customers to worry about, for future orders.

This is called "knockoff" in the industry. You can try to "reverse engineer" a part, however, what was the plastic/metal formula? What machine process formed the part? Etc. Etc.

A parts guy for a large auto dealer said that the company has an incoming inspection, where samples are taken and the specs verified. If the lot of parts are sub standard, it goes back, and the parts suppliers know this. The offshore manufacturers QC is not as good...…..

Now, my take on the Chinese manifold. You save $40, right? How long does it take to change it? How much of your time to re-do it later if it fails? I'll buy the Ford parts.