Changed out halogen for LED today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't be able to test out until mid next week. Here are the addresses and values for the body control module to test, for those that can try it sooner. This all comes from the F150 forum and I believe a lot of the values will carry over to the expedition.

726-26-02 xxxx **** xxxx - Frequency Select Cfg: 0=Type 0 (LED), 1=Type 1 (Halogen), 2=Type 2, 3=Type 3

726-26-02 xxxx xxxx x*xx - Outage Headlamps Cfg: 0=none, 1=both, 2=high, 3=low

726-26-02 0000 xxxx xxxx - Front Light Outage Detection Disable when adding aftermarket LEDs/HIDs in Halogen Bucket

Last edited:

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Halogen reflectors are designed to focus and aim halogen filaments. LED filaments are much broader because LED capsules cannot emit that amount of light from such a small area. As such you end up with stupidly bright headlights that blind oncoming traffic.

Please don’t be that guy. Either invest and upgrade to OEM LED headlights or stay with your halogens.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Halogen reflectors are designed to focus and aim halogen filaments. LED filaments are much broader because LED capsules cannot emit that amount of light from such a small area. As such you end up with stupidly bright headlights that blind oncoming traffic.

Please don’t be that guy. Either invest and upgrade to OEM LED headlights or stay with your halogens.
Rob,

this has been discussed across many automotive forums before... Like you, I was originally against LED in halogen reflectors and projectors, but now technology has advanced to the point where that argument isn't valid anymore. It's true that there are awful and cheap LED lights out there that don't properly clock in at the 9 and 3 o'clock position, and their LED chips are poor quality and improperly placed on their boards... But this goes without saying, you get what you pay for. If Philips (my preferred brand) and OSRAM/Sylvania are manufacturing LED replacement lights for halogen reflector and projectors, you can be sure they've done their homework as they are the top two automotive lighting companies.

We as end users have to do our part to ensure our lights are aimed properly and they aren't scattering light in the wrong directions. Also make sure you don't buy the amazon specials... everyone should research their lights and make sure they're purchasing a good quality light from a reputable brand or retailer.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't be able to test out until mid next week. Here are the addresses and values for the body control module to test, for those that can try it sooner. This all comes from the F150 forum and I believe a lot of the values will carry over to the expedition.

726-26-02 xxxx **** xxxx - Frequency Select Cfg: 0=Type 0 (LED), 1=Type 1 (Halogen), 2=Type 2, 3=Type 3

726-26-02 xxxx xxxx x*xx - Outage Headlamps Cfg: 0=none, 1=both, 2=high, 3=low

726-26-02 0000 xxxx xxxx - Front Light Outage Detection Disable when adding aftermarket LEDs/HIDs in Halogen Bucket
A quick update on these changes. I made the code modifications this afternoon and on this evenings drive they appeared to remedy the flickering that we get from swapping LEDs in for the stock halogens. I'll update more later this week after I've logged more miles at night.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A quick update on these changes. I made the code modifications this afternoon and on this evenings drive they appeared to remedy the flickering that we get from swapping LEDs in for the stock halogens. I'll update more later this week after I've logged more miles at night.
I can confirm now that the changes do work, I have had zero flicker from the low beams since I changed the code to reflect use of LEDs and turned off the bulb out detection system. Only issues I've encountered are inferior fogs from Sealight, one is already failing. Swapped out the Sealight fogs for a better brand today and the fitment was night and day better, in the housing...

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can confirm now that the changes do work, I have had zero flicker from the low beams since I changed the code to reflect use of LEDs and turned off the bulb out detection system. Only issues I've encountered are inferior fogs from Sealight, one is already failing. Swapped out the Sealight fogs for a better brand today and the fitment was night and day better, in the housing...
Thanks for this update. I'll go ahead and do this once I can get my hands on a Windows laptop.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for this update. I'll go ahead and do this once I can get my hands on a Windows laptop.
reviewing my previous posts, I missed a few additional lines that you'll need to modify.

726-26-02xxxx****xxxxFrequency Select Cfg: 0=Type 0 (LED), 1=Type 1 (Halogen), 2=Type 2, 3=Type 3
726-26-02xxxxxxxxx*xxOutage Headlamps Cfg: 0=none, 1=both, 2=high, 3=low
726-27-010000xxxxxxxxFront Light Outage Detection Disable when adding aftermarket LEDs/HIDs in Halogen Bucket

726-27-02x*xxxxxxxxxxABM outage cfg: 1=outage, 0=no outage
726-27-02****xxxxxxxxLow Beam outage cfg: 1=outage, 0=no outage

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
apex96 - The flickering you refer to, can you provide more info. Are you referring to the minor flickering that occurs every once in awhile and lasts for a tiny small fraction of a second or the flickering that occurs when the engine powers back up with the auto on/off at a stop. Also what Sealight did you have? I have the Sealight Xenower XF1 on my 2019 Expy and so far so good.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
apex96 - The flickering you refer to, can you provide more info. Are you referring to the minor flickering that occurs every once in awhile and lasts for a tiny small fraction of a second or the flickering that occurs when the engine powers back up with the auto on/off at a stop. Also what Sealight did you have? I have the Sealight Xenower XF1 on my 2019 Expy and so far so good.
The flickering many of us have experienced is during normal driving conditions, not related to the stop-start function. The BCM has a bulb out detection feature which pulses a signal to the bull every so many seconds/minutes that results in a very quick flicker of the LEDs.

I was running Sealight F2 H11s in my fogs and Sealight X1 H8/H9 highs. I'm currently Running Philips Ultinon Pro9000 9005/HB3 lows and Philips X-treme Vision H8 fogs.

Last edited: