97 XLT 4.6 ac system repair.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, I work with the PO of my expy so I really have a good history on her past 12 years of use. last summer he complained of the ac failing. he had the compressor replaced with a bypass pully and the guy apparently took the hoses rather than securing them aside and trying to seal them somewhat for the replacement compressor.

I have found a compressor from a 97 EB 5.4 it is still charged. I will be picking up the dryer, hoses, and compressor for $115.

with my system being open for so long, is there any thing I need to do besides pull a vacuum and verify it holds before recharge?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flush it. Use a new drier. You don't know the internal condition of a used one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
flush with what. I've never done A/c system work other than adding freon once but I know the basics of it.. the rest of my exp is in engine work and electrical work.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The proper flush is a product made for flushing an a/c system. Usually it is big bucks per quart. We use semi truck air line anti freeze (alcohol) and an air powered flush tank - considerably cheaper and just as effective.
I've read where others have used mineral spirits but can't say how well it works. I also believe it doesn't evaporate as quickly as the flush or alcohol will.

Whatever you use, flush it into a clean white rag/towel. That way you will see any debris that comes out.

When you pull the vac on the system make sure you hit 29 inches for at least 30 min.