98 4.6 check engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
ok i went to autozone today and the kid told me i have a misfire in cylinder #6 and a egr code popped up. im not really a motor person but i can do it with some good info. i dont really have the cash to pay someone so id like to do it myself if its not too hard. and when you explain it to me dont put abbreviations please, i dont know what most of them mean. i was gonna buy a haynes manual but ive had them for the last 3 trucks ive owned and honestly they dont help me for shit. truck runs fine, just gets horrible mpg. and i need this gone so i can pass arizona emissions. thanks guys.

nitrostangracing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can go back to Autozone and get a copy of the print out that would be much better. With the specific code numbers it is easier to help diagnose!

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok i went to autozone today and the kid told me i have a misfire in cylinder #6 and a egr code popped up. im not really a motor person but i can do it with some good info. i dont really have the cash to pay someone so id like to do it myself if its not too hard. and when you explain it to me dont put abbreviations please, i dont know what most of them mean. i was gonna buy a haynes manual but ive had them for the last 3 trucks ive owned and honestly they dont help me for shit. truck runs fine, just gets horrible mpg. and i need this gone so i can pass arizona emissions. thanks guys.

I had the same problem with the egr code when I first bought mine & fixed it myself with not much auto repair knowledge.

I dunno if we popped the same codes, but all I fixed to pass emissions was the EGR Presser Valve & the EGR Valve Sensor. The presser valve is connected to this one sturdy bolt that will probably give you the most problem. Put some muscle into in like I did & you'll be fine. Reset the battery & after you drive so many miles (40 or 50 I forget) the code should go away.

Let me know what codes ya got so I know were workin with the same problems.

OP
OP
S

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
damn i just looked at autozones site and each of those parts is 52 bucks. so even if i do this myself im gonna be spending some good $$$. this sucks!

OP
OP
S

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
p0406 egr flow insufficient
p0306 cylinder 6 misfire

nitrostangracing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0406 Can be either an EGR Valve or a DPFE Sensor. Most likely won't be both. The P0301 is a cylinder #1 Misfire. Take care of the EGR code first as it can cause a fuel issue throwing other codes.

cavakilla

Reaction score
you really need to find a good mechanic to fix your 406 as you could spend a lot of money replacing the wrong parts.... it may be something as simple as a clogged pipe. people at auto parts stores want to sell you parts and are not mechanics.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do some quick checks on the DPFE and and the EGR tube that runs from the manifold to the EGR valve... on that tube there will be 2 Neopreme lines (unless some has replaced them with rubber lines:badidea: that could be your problem) any ways these 2 lines run to the DPFE it is a little grey box looking thing.

if those lines are not neopreme and are rubber, they break down and plug the DPFE. and could be your problem there.

also check the EGR valve its self and the vaccum line to it...

as for the PO306 it is more than likely the coil which is $41 for a new one.

the firering order for our trucks is 1234 on the passenger side and 5678 on the driver side from front to back andthe coil is easy to change. any other questions let us now

good luck

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you really need to find a good mechanic to fix your 406 as you could spend a lot of money replacing the wrong parts.... it may be something as simple as a clogged pipe. people at auto parts stores want to sell you parts and are not mechanics.

I feel the complete opposite on this... If you don't know the mechanic personally there going to try and take everything in your pockets.

I had my two codes appraised at almost $600.00 fix when I just went to Auto Zone, spent less than $100 & did a little bit of online research & had the problem fixed myself.

I think these diagnostic prices are bullspit & I feel for anybody that has to pay for one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev