98 4.6 check engine issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh & also had Auto Zone give me the codes for free so I knew exactly what I needed to fix the problem...

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel the complete opposite on this... If you don't know the mechanic personally there going to try and take everything in your pockets.

I had my two codes appraised at almost $600.00 fix when I just went to Auto Zone, spent less than $100 & did a little bit of online research & had the problem fixed myself.

I think these diagnostic prices are bullspit & I feel for anybody that has to pay for one.

i agree completely here...

minimum of 1 hour for 10 minutes of work on over half of the diag part then they charge you the regular rate to get it fixed... that is stupid and im glad i don't go to shops for work

nitrostangracing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel the complete opposite on this... If you don't know the mechanic personally there going to try and take everything in your pockets.

I had my two codes appraised at almost $600.00 fix when I just went to Auto Zone, spent less than $100 & did a little bit of online research & had the problem fixed myself.

I think these diagnostic prices are bullspit & I feel for anybody that has to pay for one.

Sorry man but I don't understand how you can say they are BS. I have a college education and own a shop. You are saying that I am not entitled to get paid for my time? Just so you know what I do at my shop is charge $65.00 to Diagnose the vehicle professionally. My customers have no issues paying for a professional opinion. I do however not charge them full price if I do the repair.

The problem with Auto Zone is that anyone can plug in the scanner and then look at a printout. That tells you absolutley nothing. A true Diagnostic person will use the data Stream and diagnose based on that.

Just on a side note.....I know there are shops out there that should not do diagnostic work because all they do is throw parts at the car!

OP
OP
S

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
ok i know what egr is but dpfe i have no clue what you guys are talking about. last night after watching ufc i was unplugging lines and blowing thru them but i have no clue what the hell im doing. i have a month old kid so im pretty strapped for cash. i would like to repair it myself if i can. but i dont want to mess it up even more. i could take pics of the lines and show you guys if it will help because i dont know what neopreme is. i thought they were rubber lol. please help guys it means alot.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry man but I don't understand how you can say they are BS. I have a college education and own a shop. You are saying that I am not entitled to get paid for my time? Just so you know what I do at my shop is charge $65.00 to Diagnose the vehicle professionally. My customers have no issues paying for a professional opinion. I do however not charge them full price if I do the repair.

The problem with Auto Zone is that anyone can plug in the scanner and then look at a printout. That tells you absolutley nothing. A true Diagnostic person will use the data Stream and diagnose based on that.

Just on a side note.....I know there are shops out there that should not do diagnostic work because all they do is throw parts at the car!

im not saying that a charge for diag is a problem but the minimums are BS bill for the time you use... thats it...

and $65.00 an hour is a decent rate but when a shop is $100.00 an hour or more its stupid...

and parts changers are a huge problem with the industry in a whole... and i no longer work in it for that reason...

OP
OP
S

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
so can we get back on my topic please? id like to do this asap. thanks

OP
OP
S

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
that would be great. i have to drive this thing every day and im worried the more i drive it the bigger of a problem im gonna have. plus this is making my mpg suck

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score

For some people they live on a strict budget because of this damn economy, so $65 could go for like a week of groceries, if ya budget right. Your right though, there's no problem in charging for a diagnostic.

What I was trying to explain is get that "stupid printout" first. On the print out is a code or codes. With a little bit of self research you should be able to find out the problem yourself. Then if you can't figure out the problem or it's too big of a problem go to your mechanic and pay the fees.

I know, if I owned my own shop I would HATE this system, because your losing customers, but people are having the self satisfaction of fixing problems on their own with little or no knowledge of auto mechanics.

With people struggling to survive these days, yes I feel a diagnostic charge is BS.

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok i know what egr is but dpfe i have no clue what you guys are talking about. last night after watching ufc i was unplugging lines and blowing thru them but i have no clue what the hell im doing. i have a month old kid so im pretty strapped for cash. i would like to repair it myself if i can. but i dont want to mess it up even more. i could take pics of the lines and show you guys if it will help because i dont know what neopreme is. i thought they were rubber lol. please help guys it means alot.

UFC was pretty bad ass last night. Did they ever update on GSP eye condition?

EGR VALVE
SDC12330.jpg
EGR VALVE SENSOR
SDC12327.jpg

They are located underneath the plastic covering on the right side.