98 alternator.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok guys im on my second alternator now. and the voltage regulator is going. my first one was on the truck probably since 98 the second i got at pull a part off a 90 something thunderbird believe it or not same 130 amp alternator just had to change the pully the one off the bird was short a rib for the belt. any way i got this about 6 months ago and the thing looked like it was just put on the bird before it was junked. are the motorcraft alternator's just crap or what. my first suspect was my system but ive had it in three other vehicles before the expy and no problem with them. my problem started with the lights flickering while engine running so i cleaned all the connections no good then took the alternator out to test test went well cleaned everything and put it back lights stopped flickering. i thought ok maybe it was just dirty ground. drove it for a week no problem then today i went to run to the store and my battery was dead. so i broke out my charger and let it charger for a few hrs and it fired right up first try. put my trusty fluke on it and it was putting out 15.5 volts at hight idle i though it was a little high but figurd it was from the battery being low. so i drove it to the gas station for some cigarettes and left it running cause i didnt want to have to jump it off. got it back home noticed my lights were dim then brighter then dim so reved it up brighter again. shut off ac and lights and reved the volt metter on the truck shoot up and battery light came on so put my fluke back on and at 1200 rpm it was at 17.5 volts WTH. so i know its the voltage regulator. my real question is is there a way to test a regulator on its own i could pull the old one cuase i keep the old alternator. the old one just stopped putting out voltage all together i didnt test it i just assumed dioeds went bad. im kind of broke right now cause business isnt that good at the moment but i need my truck you know. i think next time i get one at pull a part ill get two or three to have spares lol.
:bawl: i figured it was bad enough i didnt have the money to finish my projects but now this has to happen.:bawl: its just my luck and to top it off ive been sick as a dog since last night. just :gr_guns: me now lol. let me know what you guys think

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Workman, Hang in there buddy....God never gives you more than you can handle....things are rough all over, but appear things are getting better...so hang tight it will all work out...OK now that Im done preachin...LOL...I know for sure overcharging will cook a battery and damage other computer components in your truck...SO, I wouldn't drive it anymore and disconnect the battery...I don't think the quality of the part is the issue as much as luck of the draw on the part...I have attached a link below for an e-bay store that I have purchased from and I think they have just what your looking for...I have allot of police equipment in my truck, radios, lights, computer, printer, wi-fi, etc...The link below is for a 200 amp alternator...my never goes below or above 14.1 to 14.2 no matter what I turn on and even in drive...you dont need to buy 3 or 4, just one good one....you may want to have that battery checked also before you drop a new alternator in...I have seen them short out and kick the alternator in the ass....So, I hope the preachin at least made you smile and the info helps you out...as Im sure others here will chime in as well and is encouraged....

OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
prechin is your job isnt it baker lol. yea i just cant afford any extras right now money is tight im sure every one feels that way. and i would love to get my hands on a 200 amp but i see no link :hidesbehindsofa:
as for cooking the battery i need a new one any way the one ive got in there is getting old ill probably get a new one when i get an alternator any way ill probably get one of those sealed batterys opti what ever they are lol i cant think straught due to fever lol. and yea i dont plan to drive it any till i get it sorted out. im just lucky it didnt cook the ecu from that sort drive to get my cigarettes. it really just drives me crazy cuase it may sound odd but ive all ways had great luck with junkyard parts yea i know junk yard got to be there for a reason well im a firm believer in one mans junk is another mans treasure thats how i got my 19 inch lcd that im working on. but any way. yea man the smiles what i needed tonight. so thanks for that. and i just wanted to confirm what i already knew/thought about the whole thing lol.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i used to have a link for a 200 amp but dont have it anymore...i'll search

OP
OP
W

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heck thats a good price to brand new at autozone 130 amp is what 180 bucks i think. yea i thought i broke the fever last night but woke up in cold sweats this morning. man i dont get being sick in 80 and 90 degree Georgia heat lol. oh and thanks for the link i tried searching ebay last night but wasnt sure which one you had and didnt want to wind up with one of the cheap knock offs. would rather stick to a seller that others haved used and products others have used.
thank you to freeway.