99 5.4L Upgrades to help tow better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suprman

Reaction score
I inherited a 1999 Expedition XLT with a 5.4L and would like to use it for towing. The Brakes need replacing and the suspension is squeaking like crazy. it has 192K miles and drive well for its age, but it sat for a few years after my father passed.

I've hooked my all steel 21' car trailer to it that weighs ~3500lbs with a 3500lb car loaded on it and the rear sags noticeably with the 7k load even properly loaded. the tires are over 10 years old, so i bought some F150 take offs with 265/70/17 Hankook Dynapro AT-M mounted and would like to replace the brakes/suspension while at it.

Any recommendations on Springs/shocks to help make it tow better? it does not have the Tow package (i'm working on installing the trans cooler/brake controller. it already has the Class III hitch and 7 pin adapter). I'm wondering if there is a heavy duty spring available and/or a heavy duty shock to look for?

for the brakes, i usually use brembo disc blanks and Akebono pads. does anyone recommend another setup that would be better for towing?

Last edited: