99 AWD 5.4 FRONT END PROBS (I think)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tucker914

Reaction score
So my expy has had some pain drive line issues I have been chasing down. Fluids are full and clean. New u-joints in front shaft. Problem is after I been driving for a few minutes. On accel more so when I turn I get a crazy rumble/vibe and it feels like its under my feet. I know the lower ball joints got minimal play so does the left outer but i never had minor front end movement cause this. Just some places to look would be great.

GaWag

Reaction score
Pull the fuse for the transfer case. The torque on demand transfer case won't be engage . I think fuse number 104 under the hood. Mine did this. Clutches in the transfer case are wore out is my guess.

OP
OP
T

Tucker914

Reaction score
so if i pull the fuse, problem goes away, i would need to rebuild or replace? would a t case out of a 4.6 expy work?

GaWag

Reaction score
I'm running with mine pulled right now because of this similar problem. If the problem goes away then yes it's the transfer case and would need rebuilding or replaced. I found a rebuild kit for my TOD transfer case for about 150.00.

Best of luck. Let us know what happens.

Btw, fuse 104 is a tall square looking fuse.

OP
OP
T

Tucker914

Reaction score
i had my shaft out when i found the bad u joints but the grumble was still in the front just not constant like it was with it in.... im not dissagreeing the t case could be bad but it was still there and mostly on turning during initial accel....

OP
OP
T

Tucker914

Reaction score
Problem is still there even after pulling the fuse and driving around a while. I did notice a strong hot gear lube smell from rear tire area tho. Any tips on checking rear bearing?