99 EB 5.4, crank/no start - help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dd350

Reaction score
Hi all,

My '99 EB 5.4 suddenly developed a crank/no start condition after sitting for about two weeks through a lengthy deluge of rain. The last code it reported from the computer was a P0304, misfire detected on #4, but otherwise OK. When I went to go start it again it would crank, sound like it was almost catching about every second, but would not start. I opened up the MAF and tried blasting it with starting fluid, and got a brief cough but otherwise the same results.

Then I gave the battery a full overnight charge and tried it again, but no dice.

I gave it another two gallons of fresh fuel just to be sure, but it has about half a tank and is sitting on a fairly level spot. Still no start.

I noticed the gages are not working when I turn the key to ON - only the Windshield Washer fluid low, Door Ajar and ABS indicators come on. Radio works, EATC works, interior/exterior lights all work. Leave it on for a couple minutes and then things come alive, but it still won't start.

I connected my bluetooth diagnostic to it and turned on the ignition, but it reports that it is unable to connect to the PCM. BIG CLUE, so I start trying to hunt down why the PCM is unresponsive.

1. disconnected the battery for 15-20 seconds and reconnected it. No change.
  2. swapped PDB relay 302 and PCM relay 304. No change.
  3. tested 5A fuse #2 under dash, both visually and with continuity. Good.
  4. tested PDB 15A fuses 23/24, both visually and with continuity. Good.
  5. tested PDB 30A fuse 2, both visually and with continuity. Good.
  6. tested PDB 15A fuse 18, both visually and with continuity. Good.
  7. swapped 501 (PCM) & 502 (A/C clutch) diodes. No change.

I've shot a quick video of what it looks and sounds like when I try to start it and posted it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IWLBnX-NZVA

I'm all out of ideas why my PCM has seemingly stopped working all of a sudden, other than the possibility of the rain having something to do with it.

If anyone can suggest some next steps I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
David D

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the Bluetooth device didn't power up check fuse #103 in the Battery Junction Box (under hood) and also fuse #3 in the Central Junction Box (under dash)

Check your ground connections behind the kick panels both sides Make sure they are clean and tight.

Wasn't a good idea to use starter fluid on the MAF sensor. But you may want to try and start the expy while spray some starter fluid into the throttle body to see if it tries to fire up. Don't over spray Just a little

OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
The Bluetooth device did power up, just couldn't establish a connection to the PCM. And I just used the MAF sensor as an easy access point to the throttle body.

OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
No, for two reasons:

1 - the PCM doesn't run on fuel pressure
2 - the engine didn't run on starting fluid

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the 1999 Ford Service Manual

PCM Inputs

Air Conditioning Cycling Switch

Air Conditioning Pressure Sensor

Air Conditioning High Pressure Switch

Brake Pedal Position Switch

Camshaft Position Sensor

Clutch Pedal Position Switch

Crankshaft Position Sensor (Integrated Ignition Systems)

Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor

Differential Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor

Engine Coolant Temperature

Engine Oil Temperature

Fuel Level Input

Fuel Pump Monitor

Applications Using a Fuel Pump Relay for Fuel Pump On/Off Control

Fuel Pump Driver Module Applications

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Generator Monitor (Gen Mon)

Generator Load

Heated Oxygen Sensor

Intake Air Temperature Sensor

Intake Manifold Runner Control

Knock Sensor

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Power Steering Pressure Switch

Power Steering Pressure Sensor

Power Take-Off Switch and Circuit

Purge Flow Sensor

Throttle Position Sensor

Transmission Control Switch

Solid State Relay

Vehicle Speed Sensor

4x4 Low Touch Drive Button (Switch)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to my 2000 expy owners book 301 is the fuel pump relay. You might want to pull that one, check for power at terminals of fuse box. Also number 18 fuse on fuse box under hood is listed as fuel pump. My question is all this started by sitting in rain. You did seal the windshield? Right? I know you know first gens leak into gem and inside fuse box. Have you checked to see if your getting spark to plugs. Yours has the separate wires? Or do you have cop. I think 99 is cop. You know how to check? Could have shorted out crank sensor that gives coil power. If you've got a hei spark tester, you can get any tool truck or store. Procedure online how to test for spark on these. Also did you try reset switch passenger kick panel for fuel pump? Keep us posted, it's probably something silly! Usually is. Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Moose. Let me address your questions individually.

- I have ruled out fuel on this by the starting fluid check, so I'm trying to focus away from that path.
- 99 is COP. I am confident I have an ignition problem rather than a fuel problem, since my PCM is unresponsive.
- I just found out the windshields leak, but I haven't found any evidence of that on mine yet.

I tried to do my best at due diligence before posting this. But I am stumped, and hope the collective wisdom of the team here can give me some new ideas on what to check next.

Thanks,
David D

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dave, on my 2000 expy last year when I had windshield leak all hell broke loose every time it rained. Mine ran, but starter would grind as it's running, like someone was turning key. Other symptoms were no radio, heater blower motor had a mind of its own, power windows wouldn't work, then did. I didn't have the problem your having with a no run condition. You might want see if water got into your gem module or either fuse block. As well as the main computer. If it was me next step I would do is pull one of your cop's with boot/ wire. Check plug going to cop to see if you got power/ground their you can hook up a simple hei type spark plug tester to boot crank it see if you have spark. If not back track, crank sensor, or main computer. Did you get a chance to run codes? If you got a wacky computer, they usually spit out a ton of codes. Keep us posted, we'll figure it out, we always do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Moose. Let me address your questions individually.

- I have ruled out fuel on this by the starting fluid check, so I'm trying to focus away from that path.
- 99 is COP. I am confident I have an ignition problem rather than a fuel problem, since my PCM is unresponsive.
- I just found out the windshields leak, but I haven't found any evidence of that on mine yet.

I tried to do my best at due diligence before posting this. But I am stumped, and hope the collective wisdom of the team here can give me some new ideas on what to check next.

Thanks,
David D

A starting fluid check is not a check for fuel pressure
You did state that when you used starting fluid that it appeared to try and fire. That is why I mentioned to check fuel pressure and also gave you a list of the inputs needed for the PCM one of which is fuel pressure.

Don't rule out fuel pressure by your starter fluid test Get a pressure tester and check and that way you will be 100% sure if you have a fuel pressure problem or not. There is a correct way to test and other ways You decide which works best for you

Based on your assumption that fuel pressure isn't a problem I would say you are 0% in knowing what if any fuel pressure you have