99 EB 5.4, crank/no start - help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
Thanks, HughJass. I'll run through that at some point this weekend. I was only able to identify one more fuse associated with the PCM, PDB #15, that I haven't tested yet either.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dd350 Quote "I was only able to identify one more fuse associated with the PCM, PDB #15, that I haven't tested yet either."

FYI

Fuse #15 in the PDB (Under Hood) has nothing to do with the PCM Its for the running boards.

However fuse #15 in the CJB (under dash) is associated with the PCM thru the Brake pedal position switch Fuse #15 also provides power to the GEM

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
Pulled the fuse, observed the interior lights going out, tested it with multimeter, continuity confirmed. Reinstalled the fuse and observed the interior lights coming back on.

A couple nights ago I also remembered that I left my diagnostic tool plugged in to the OBD-II port for about a week before I went out and pulled it off and recharged the battery from the significant drain it had caused. I don't know if being connected that long can cause a problem, but it's the only thing I can remember happening between the time that it started and ran fine until a few weeks later when it wouldn't, and the OBD-II port no longer works.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed in all off your testing is the you have pulled all the fuses you mention and have looked at them and tested them for continuity. That tells me you are using a ohm meter. That may be a good test for fuses but it doesn't show what voltage you have at the fuse. I understand that if the lights went out and then came back on that would show voltage present. But that was for the last fuse you tested not for any of the other fuses. A low voltage condition can cause problem but a no voltage condition can cause bigger problem. I would suggest the you test for voltage rather than continuity. You have only tested a few of the fuses that can cause the problem your having so again do a test for voltage. Refer to the following link.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f16/fuse-testing-101-a-24587/#post200023

As I posted earlier there are at least 17 fuses associated with the PCM some of them are for various inputs and won't have anything to do with the problem you are having but some of them do involve the cranking/starting portion for the PCM.

What prints/manual are you using?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In your original post you stated

4. tested PDB 15A fuses 23/24, both visually and with continuity. Good.
5. tested PDB 30A fuse 2, both visually and with continuity. Good.
6. tested PDB 15A fuse 18, both visually and with continuity. Good.

What is/was the input and output voltage at those 4 fuses??

OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
Interesting thought, I'll go test it today and report back.

OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
Test results

Ok, so here are the test results.

KEY OFF
#2: 12.5v
#18: 0.0v
#23: 0.0v
#24: 0.0v

KEY ON
#2: 11.7v
#18: 0.9v
#23: 0.9v
#24: 0.9v

Pretty sure something's seriously wrong on 18, 23 & 24.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker