99 issues with head change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so to answer previous questions.

Yes currently the cylinder heads are removed and so is the oil pan.

This a 2V 5.4, but again the heads are removed.

Tranny is not in neutral, however I have put it in neutral and in drive, my wife suggested this as a test.

I also think it highly unlikely that the trans is hanging but so far can not seem to find anything different

The even weirder part of this is when I took this thing apart I drove it into the garage, it wasnt till I replaced the head that I could not turn it over. Then I removed both heads and still cant turn it over.

I wish someone close to me could stop by and check this out with me to see if I am missing something

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a question have you removed the drive shaft??

Just wondering I had the same issue with a 240sx, had the disconect it to get the trans to turn

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I have not removed the drive shaft however I have not seen it move when trying to turn the engine.

The engine will turn about 120 to 170 degrees but not enough to get to the last 2 TC nuts. If I could get those removed I could very well tell if it was engine or trans related.

Im about to give up and call it quits, I need to get something up and runnign and am running out of time to screw with this thing.

Anyone want this thing?

Come and get it.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try and remove the shaft..... but hey if you wanna drop it off my house I live in KY, just saying

Last edited:

purple_50

Reaction score
Make sure the bolt length is correct for all fasteners under the timing cover. I saw one about 6 years ago that a bolt that was too long, was installed in the wrong location and catching the crankshaft in certain spots. If I remember correctly I think it was a timing chain guide bolt that was catching, just check any that could interfere with the crank if too long, oil pump bolts too. Just my 2 cents... Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stamp,

I have this torn down to the short block so nothing there.

But after looking at this I turned the crank so all piston were some what in the holes. I soaked the cylinders with PB and let it sit. I then scrubbed the walls with coarse sanding spong. I did this a couple of times and to my surprise the stupid thing turns over fine.

I do remmember there being coolant in the number 4 drivers side cylinder when pulling the drivers side head. So my surmise is that I somehow got water in the cylinder during work and when trying to crank it I think it may have gotten hydro locked. Then it rusted and could not get past the ridge of rust and carbon.

So to sum up we are now able to turn it over and was able to get the TC bolts out.

I do have 1 more question though. How many bolts hold the trans to the engine block?

Just about ready to come out. Now I have to find me another engine.