a/c blowing hot air then cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hi guys ,
so i got stuck in traffic the other week and it was hot out, so had the a/c on within about 5 mins of being stuck in traffic the a/c started blowing out hot air. and continued to do so for the whole time i was stuck in traffic.
then when i got back up to highway speeds it cooled down but it wasnt cold, and it stayed like that for about a day.
the expy was then left whilst i went on holiday.
so came back and started the expy up and the a/c works fine, so took it into ford for its service and the a/c was blasting cold air out, told them the problem and they had a look.
they came back and said the high pressure hose was leaking and so was the evaporator so both needed to be replaced which was going to be about $1200!. so i said thanks but no thanks.
so i picked up the car, drove home a/c still blowing cold, drove to and from work, got stuck in traffic for an hour or so still blowing cold etc etc.

now i actually work in the refrigerant industry so i know a little about refrigeration. now i would understand the a/c blowing hot air is there was a leak, as the gas would leak out resulting in no gas to keep the refrigeration cycle going. however it does not explain why it has gone from blowing hot air to cold air.
for me the the explanation would be a blockage in the high pressure line. that has become unblocked. allows the cycle to continue.
so it seems ford just wanted a load of money out of me.

any ways i just wanted to see if anyone has come across this before and if anyone can confirm my beliefs?

cheers

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
you could have a vacuum leak . could you tell us the year of the expedition. I have yet to master the mind reading skill . oh put it in your signature line too.. like mine

Mangina

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your A/C belt maybe? Perhaps it got dirty and was slipping, and has now cleaned itself off and started grabbing again.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time it quits check the low and high side pressures. If power is being cut to the compressor it doesn't cool - as you now.

OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cheers for all the help guys, will check them again if it happens but hopefully it seems to have fixed itself

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69