A/C Speed Control - Resistor Not the Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidB

Reaction score
2009 XLT

Thanks to many helpful posts, I thought I had figured out why my #3 position on my A/C speed control wasn't working. I replaced the fan motor resistor but that didn't fix it. Positions 1,2, and 4 work just fine.

Now I'm back at square one. Any suggestions as to what I should check next?

Thank you in advance.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next thing to check is the fan speed switch. You'll need a voltmeter if you don't have one. You would check the switch positions for continuity.

OP
OP
D

DavidB

Reaction score
I do have access to a volt meter. How would I check continuity? Let me apologize for my lack of mechanical knowledge. I have recently become fed up with paying over-priced mechanics to service my vehicles for things I should be able to do myself. I'm familiar with using a volt meter, I just need to know where to test.

OP
OP
D

DavidB

Reaction score
Next thing to check is the fan speed switch. You'll need a voltmeter if you don't have one. You would check the switch positions for continuity.

I found my problem. Upon removing the bezel around the radio and Climate Control switches, I removed the connector from behind the Fan Speed Control switch and found that it was partially melted. I have posted a picture for reference. I need help finding the exact connector and/or part number.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 118

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest way is from a donor vehicle. The next would be from Dorman or an electronics store. Another alternative would be spade connectors and not use the holder. If you go that route use a good professional brand. I purchase from Hi Line and Lawson for work and use the crimp, solder and heat shrink versions.

OP
OP
D

DavidB

Reaction score
I think I'm going to replace the blower control switch first. I'm thinking that the current switch is burned out on the #3 setting. What do you think? The connector will probably need replacing as well but if the switch is bad, I should still be able to tell with that existing connector in place.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why throw parts at it when you can test and verify a failure.
I've had connectors overheat like yours and burn the wire to where the connection is lost. Your problem may only be in the wiring/connectors. That plug indicates poor contact or overload. I'll go with poor contact. Put a new switch in and you still have your problem of overheating. You should correct that problem while your there.

I'd use the voltmeter to determine which wire is providing the power to the switch. Then I'd test the switch. I'll give you step by step instructions if you want.

Check this site for replacement plugs, connectors and wires are not included:

15336479-B Delphi Connection Systems | Mouser

Last edited: