AC clutch harness no voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chisan

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 00 expo 5.4 4x4 and i am trying to get my ac clutch to engage but haven't had any luck so far. i have checked all the fuses and none are blown, i switched diodes nothing, i unplugged the clutch harness at the compressor and put my meter on it and got no voltage while on max ac, checked r134a levels are good. i took a screwdriver and spun the clutch on the pulley just to make sure it wasn't locked up and it wasn't, what else cani try??? thanks in advance

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the AC relay located on a 2000 Ford Expedition?

Answer:
The A/C clutch relay is in location 204 of the power distribution box in the engine

compartment ( half size relay ) - also in PD BOX - fuse # 13 - 15 amp for A/C clutch

Relay and location # 502 is the A/C clutch DIODE

Ford states to disconnect the battery before servicing anything in the PD BOX so

your vehicle will have to relearn its idle , the clock and radio stations will have to be

reset etc.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_the_AC_relay_located_on_a_2000_Ford_Expedition

OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
i checked the level with a coolant gauge, and where can i find the low pressure switch? i check everything that captain morgan responded with (this Cap).

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are only two ways I know to check the level of refrigerant. One is to reclaim it with a recycling machine and see how much is reclaimed. The other isn't as accurate but tells you if your in the ballpark, using static pressure in relation to outside temp.

How did you check it with a coolant gauge? Maybe there is a third method I don't know about.

These wonderful engineers put the low pressure switch on the passenger side, mounted on the receiver/drier, between the valve cover and fender well. And thoughtfully behind a bunch of wires attached to a bracket. Easier to get to by removing the bolts holding the bracket to the firewall. Look for a connector on top of the silver can. That will be the low pressure switch.

If you have power at the connector you can jump the switch to test the clutch. If it engages you are low on 134a, which means a leak. I personally don't run the compressor long with it jumped, only do it as a test. When you recharge the system there is enough pressure put on the low side to close the switch anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
i checked the low pressure switched for voltage and it gets voltage on the red w/wht side but not the other so i take it that must be ground.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the engine turned off, run a jumper between the two. Then start the engine and turn on the a/c - max. If the clutch engages then one of two things, the switch is bad or the system is low on pressure.

Not recommended to run the system for very long with that switch bypassed. If your are low/out of refrigerant then the oil doesn't circulate and you cause more damage.

Also which type of a/c controls do you have, manual or automatic?

Last edited:

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i checked the low pressure switched for voltage and it gets voltage on the red w/wht side but not the other so i take it that must be ground.

No the other side is not a ground, When the switch is closed it closes the circuit and the voltage you saw on the red/white wire will go though the other wire out to complete the circuit. If you jump that wire as mentioned above ( put a paper clip between the two terminals of the plug) and the compressor kicks on then you know the problem is low pressure in the system or a defective low pressure switch. If it does not kick the compressor on then the problem is further down stream of the low pressure switch.

OP
OP
C

chisan

Reaction score
ok thxs a lot guys i jumped the harness and the clutch kick in and started spinning.

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so the most likely cause is low r-134a. It could be normal slow loss over a long period of time or you could have a leak that just sprung up recently. best thing to do is draw down a vacuum and see if it holds the vacuum for 10 minutes. if it does your good to charge it up and you should be fine. If it does not hold a vacuum you have a leak that needs to be addressed before charging the system.